July 28, 2010

VBS

This week the kiddos have been enjoying VBS! 
 The theme this year is "The Egypt Files" a curriculum developed by Answers in Genesis, which our entire church did about six months ago.
 
Elizabeth's class has NINE children (and thankfully, three workers!) Each night they walk to different rooms for music, crafts, Bible study, etc. All the rooms are decorated in an Egypt theme and the teachers are dressed like explorers. It is very cute! Each night Elizabeth comes home with neat crafts and is very excited and very wound up to tell me about her night! In fact, she's usually SO wound up, she can't fall asleep until past 10 pm!
  
That brings me to the one downside of VBS. It's at night. It runs from 5:30 to 8:30pm. So late that I usually bring Liam in his jammies so I can just tuck him into bed as soon as we get home. I've gotta say, I'm not a big fan of the nighttime VBS. When I was a kid, it was in the morning--when we were at our best! It was great! I have so many fond memories of my summers in VBS! I especially loved Barney the dog and Henrietta the church mouse, who made their appearance each year no matter what the theme!
 
Now that most moms work, I guess VBS switched over to the pm for most churches some time ago. Let's just say, it's not ideal. I help out in the nursery, and these little guys really have a rough time! VBS doesn't end until 8:30 and most of these little ones are ready to go a few hours before then. Oh, it can be rough!

Fortunately, both kids have done a pretty good job! Liam isn't nearly as fussy as he usually is at night... although, he won't allow me to leave the nursery without screaming in hysterics. Sigh. And Elizabeth has been a ball of energy and very excited each night! And she's learning SO much that it makes up for the late nights!

Hopefully I can get some more pics of our time at VBS to share on the blog before the week is up!

Until then...