So, this summer, we went to Kansas!
Awww... the Sunflower State.
The kids were SO excited to see everyone... here's Liam getting in some snuggles from Aunt Maddie
One of the first nights we were there, my mom's house got "flocked". I'd never heard of a flocking, but its this thing at church where you can pay $15 to flock someone's yard. They leave a note saying you can either wait 48 hrs and the flamingos will be removed for free, or you can pay $10 (or something like that) to have them removed.
Apparently this was a HUGE hit! The youth were the ones doing the "flocking" to raise money for camp. They loved getting to go out at night and be extra sneaky. And apparently the congregation loved waking up to a pink surprise on their lawn, because the flockings just kept on coming in (my mom was in charge) even after the kids went to camp! So fun!
One of the first days there, we headed over to visit with my Grandma and Grandpa. Love this picture of us! And as you can see, the kids had a ball.... literally! The kids played baseball with grandpa a few nights.
One night we went o swim at Aunt Terri's pool. Liam was tired and fussy so he chilled with me for a little bit. But Elizabeth swam all over that pool... she could touch really well in Terri's shallow end, and I think that gave her the confidence... even swimming out into the deep end. Of course, with floaties on... so I know this isn't mind blowing news, but it was a big deal in our world! Sometimes I feel really bad that our kids are behind with swimming (we have friends who's 4 year olds can literally do the breast stroke and back flip! And whose 2 year olds can dive for toys! I kid not!) But we'll get there one day and it won't make one lick of difference that it took us a little longer. I keep reminding myself that the children who are great swimmers have access to pools. And we simply don't.
Another day we went to the zoo with Nana, Papa, cousins Emma and Grayson, and Uncle Thor.
It was literally 105 degrees by 10am.
The kids were cranky... and kept complaining that they were hungry. So after 3 exhibits we sat down and busted out our lunch.
We took in a few more exhibits before it was just too hot and we had to head home.
Back at Nana's house the kids got to run through the sprinklers a time or two. They LOVED it!
So much fun!
One day Liam found this little paddle (I guess for table tennis?) and a big bouncy ball. He asked Nana to throw the bouncy ball and he'd hit it (I guess kinda like baseball, but with a paddle and a bouncy ball in lieu of a bat and ball).
It was hilarious. He'd stand in position and say: "Ready Nana" and she'd say "Ready." He'd hit it. Then they'd repeat: "Ready Nana?" "Ready". Over and over again.
Too cute!
(If the video is cut off, try clicking on it to go to the YouTube site... not sure why its so big)
He loves his grandma! They both do... but we scored this shirt for him at a yard sale. Oh the yard sales!
Family shot after church.
One day Grandpa and Grandma took the kids to Sunrise playground. It was so hot I sat in the shade with Grandma, and I didn't take any pictures--but it was fun. Thankfully there were sprayers they could run through to cool them off. Grandpa did most of the playing with the kids!
And then another day Grandma and Grandpa took us to Botannica. They are volunteers there and know all the ins and outs.
We did the children's garden in Sept for Matt's wedding, so it wasn't new to us, but still such an awesome place. Wish we had something like that at one of our botannical gardens here in NC. Like a lot of things in NC, they don't even come close.
Somewhere over the Rainbow...
I have pics from last time at a lot of these same places... love the rainbow path.
So many awesome sculptures amidst the beautiful gardens. I think my grandparents said the revenue of botannica has really soared since they added the children's area. I bet! Can you imagine having a year pass, and then just bringing the kids out each week to run and play! Such a great idea!
The highlight to the children's garden, by far, is this AWESOME tree house.
It really doesn't get any cooler than that, does it?!
And the the tree sculptures (for which there are many) are also super cool!
As we were heading back to the farm area, there was a lady with some exhibits... the life cycle of frogs (from eggs, to tadpoles, to frogs). The kids got to use their magnifying glass.
And Elizabeth even got to touch one. So neat!
This mosaic water fountain is SO pretty!
And back through the rainbow path...
Over to the butterfly house.
Then time to throw some coins in the fountain.
Back at grandma and grandpa's, cousin Layla and Kortez came to play. We tried to get a picture with Gr-Grandma and Gr-Grandpa with their four Gr-Grandkids! A hard task to do!
Back at Nanas, Liam feel asleep before I could put him down, so I let him sleep right where he fell.
Well, about this time, we decide we want to surprise Maddie (who'd gone
away to church camp that week) by redecorating her room.
She and my mom have been talking about redoing it... and mom already had a good idea what she wanted.
So we decided to just do it as a part surprise and part birthday present. Above is the before. Purple walls with lots of random posters all over the walls.
Here's the after... hot pink accent wall... black and white zebra print accents.
We even used zebra duct tape to add some trim to the bookshelf.
And to the top of her nightstand.
Turned out so cute... who would have thought, duct tape?! Oh, and FYI, Mom and Maddie have been talking about redoing her room for awhile, with an accent wall and lots of zebra stripes, so this was what she'd be talking about for awhile... and not just something we decided to do.
When she came home, I set up a camera in her room to capture her reaction. We decided not to say anything about her room and just let her head up on her own. Although Elizabeth *almost* spoiled the surprise by telling her she really needed to see her room and something about the 4th of July... Maddie thought we'd decorated it for the 4th... she had no idea we'd totally redone the whole space!
Again, if the video is cutting off on the blog, try viewing it directly in YouTube by clicking on it.
Again, if the video is cutting off on the blog, try viewing it directly in YouTube by clicking on it.
Of course, Elizabeth was SO excited that as soon as she saw her she said something to the affect of,
"You need to go to your room... Maddie, go check out your room." So she
admitted that she thought we'd done something, but thought maybe
decorated it with like 4th of July decorations... not a whole redo!
SO fun!
Here's Mr. Man... playing outside again.
Decided to pick up this trike one day at a yard sale for $4 for the kids to play with... has a little stereo and turn signals and even a little bubble machine on the front.
Another hot day, another run-through-the-sprinklers. Only this time, Nana came too.
They thought that was great!
Ms. America... helping Nana get everything set up for the 4th.
Another day it was too hot to do much, so we decided to go to the movies. Madagascar 3.
Fun times!
Above: after church on Sunday... BRAUMS! Oh, how I've missed thee!
Liam all crashed out... again.
Here we are back at Sunrise Park.
Fun (hot) times...
Weeeee!
Did I mention, it was hot?!
One day we met up with some friends Gannon and Evan to play at this splashground.
It was such a cute park and the kids had fun.
Nice way to beat the heat!
We also hit up the YMCA pool. Papa Clay got us a month membership by giving a $25 donation. Much better price than paying for the full month membership or however we did it last time. Thanks again, Clay!
As you can see, they had a blast.
The pirate ship was the biggest hit. Up and down, up and down, over and over again.
The thrill of a water slide!
So fun!
The kids also did the lazy river with me... and enjoyed the little sprayers and some other areas.
Wish our YMCA here in NC was like this one. Doesn't even come close.
Mom and Sis.
This one below shows one of my favorite things in Kansas, and what I miss dearly living in NC....
Big Sky.
You just don't see a ton of sky in the middle of a tall/hilly pine forest, which is NC.
All crashed out again.
And if you're wondering why the long sleeves. He found this shirt and decided he HAD to wear it. Lol!
Afternoon of shopping... had to go check out the accessories store.!
A little girls dream!
Here we are all ready for the 4th of July
My patriotic babes.
Then we headed over to grandma's for a big lunch.
The kids with Uncle Matt
Our family :)
All crashed out... again! I promise, I did put him down for naps!
My American Cuties
And my beautiful sister... hard to believe she started HIGH SCHOOL this year! How is that even possible?!Each night the kids walked with Maddie across the street to feed the neighbors fish while they were on vacation. We did this last summer, too... seems our two vacations tend to correspond. The kids love this tradition though.
Matt's wife's parents were having fireworks within their development... and apparently they put on a pretty good show.
Liam posing by the pond.
Elizabeth running over the bridge by the pond.
Enjoying the games and homemade icecream.
We put up our chairs by the pond
Daddy and Daughter... I didn't post this, but Vassil arrived the day before. He couldn't stay the entire 3 weeks we were there, but wanted to come for the 4th.
My grandparents also came.
Elizabeth wanted to sit in Nana's lap for the show.
Liam sat with Uncle Matt.
When the first firework went off, Liam screamed the most high pitch scream that went on and on for a good minute! It was hilarious. Pure joy with a tinge of fear.
The next day we packed up and headed for Kansas City to visit with my dad and his family.
All tuckered out... again! lol! I feel ya Liam! I think I was pretty worn out at this point as well.
We decided to meet my dad and grandma Mary at Worlds of Fun, which is such a great amusement park in KC... kinda like 6 Flags I guess. It's been around forever. As a kid, we'd drive up and go to Worlds of Fun with my family, and sometimes on school trips. I have SO many memories there. When I was just tall enough to ride some of the rollercoasters, my dad would let me ride with him on his lap... I LOVED it! I am such a rollercoaster fanatic now because of it! Worlds of Fun is also where Vassil proposed to me 10 years ago! So it seemed fitting that we make a trip of it. My Grandma Mary paid for our tickets... and we had a blast! Thank you SO much Grandma!
We started off with the carousel. My cautious boy always picks the bench seat--lol! Love him!
Elizabeth, Sonya, and Alissa checking out Snoopy!
SNOOPY!
Gotta get some hugs!
Liam and I rode the cars... while Elizabeth rode the rocket ship with daddy that went up on the red tracks and takes you over the Snoopy part of the park.
Liam with Grandpa Rick
Elizabeth road this boat ride with daddy... looks pretty tame, but it spun and went up pretty high.
Yes it does, Lucy! Yes it does!
Elizabeth rode this one without a grown up... I was so proud of her! She loved all the rides!
Liam loved these cars! I was proud of him too! He got more and more brave as the night wore on.
It was SUPER hot the day we went, so we ended up spending a lot of time inside this gift shop soaking up the AC until the sun started to set and it wasn't as scorching.
Then we headed out for some more rides...
The swings... so fun!
Elizabeth rode the scrambler with Penny. It was more a grown up ride and I wondered if she'd be scared, but as soon as it was over she wanted to do it again--lol.
Look at my little flying ace...
I love my boys...
It was impossible to get a pic... but Elizabeth is one of those balloons way up high.
Another pic with Snoopy.
We had dinner all together, then decided to ride the train. Grandma was such a sport following us around Worlds of Fun in this heat. And then rode the train with us too!
Time for a family shot! :)
The whole gang. I haven't seen my dad or grandma Mary in awhile... so it was so nice to spend some time together, and make new memories with my own kids at such a special place. Full circle!
The next day we met at a little park before it was time for us to head back to Wichita.
Grandma pushing...
And Grandma getting pushed... lol!
I was so happy to get to see my Aunt Ginny and Cousin Nicci. I also got to meet Nicci's itty bitty widdle one. Hard to believe we are both mommies now! Crazy!
3 Generations... so good to see them! It had been too long!
On the way back home, we also wanted to stop and visit with my Grandpa Hadsall and Grandma Bea. But we had to make a pit stop first...
Braums of course...
I am always awed by the Kansas countryside. Pictures from the car don't really do it justice. You can literally see as far as the eye can see... the horizon just stretches for miles and mile and miles. It feels so open out there... like I can breathe.
I miss this view...
Half way to Grandpa Hadsall's house... the kids started to get loopy. I knew this wouldn't be good. No naps, plus constant on-the-go, plus long car ride, equals very crazy kids.
Thankfully, Grandma and Grandpa didn't seem to mind this crazy crew! Grandma Bea had just had knee replacement surgery, and was so sweet to have us stop by. I was worried it would be too much... especially with these high energy little ones.
We grabbed lunch at a restaurant near there house... and almost forgot to get a picture! Bea was already in the car, so we made sure to get one with Grandpa. Wow... do I look exhausted--lol! We had hoped to get back there way to visit again before we left, but in the craziness of the last few days few days, we didn't get a chance. One of the things I hate about coming home is I feel like we get to see everyone once. My aunts and uncles, once. My cousins, once. Charolyn, once. Grandpa and Bea, once. I hate that :( Although, I guess its better than not getting to see them at all. I just always wish we could stay and visit each person a lot longer than we do.
Anyway, when I was still in NC there was a Groupon for half off tickets to Tanganikya (a wildlife park where you get to interact with the animals), and since I knew we usually took the kids... I figured I'd buy it. This was before our trip. Anyway, at this point in our journey, I was really not feeling in the mood for Taganikya. It was SO hot, and I was just exhausted from going here there and everywhere. BUT, because I'd already bought the tickets, I figured we'd better go...
Here's Maddie petting a wild cat... forget what's called, something with an O I think.
Liam was a little too loud/bouncy typical preschooler... the wild cat didn't like that! Yikes!
We got to pet the tortoises...
And feed them.
The kids rode a camel with Nana.
There were Kangaroos to see and pet
Of course, we had to stop for some icecream half way through. Boy it was hot.
We were hoping the penguin exhibit would be interactive... what we would have done to jump in that pool!
We headed over to lemur island to feed the lemurs. So cool. Their fingertips have these soft little pads... so cute.
And then finally, over to feed the giraffes.
Here's Liam feeding his lettuce to the giraffe. Yum!
And Aunt Maddie taking her turn.
And Elizabeth.
The kids made these adorable tie-dye "Camp Nana" t-shirts, which they wore throughout the 3 weeks we were there.
Uncle Matt and Elizabeth having fun in the living room...
Maddie's Bday party :)
No... this time not running in the sprinklers... but in the rain.
They had so much fun...
The next day we went to visit Vassil's host mom, Charolyn and grandson Bassel over at her house.
The kids had a blast jumping on the trampoline...
And riding on the electric car...
And swinging on the swing and hammock...
After some pizza and playtime, it was time to say goodbye. Ugh. I hate that we don't get to visit more often.
The next day grandma and grandpa took us for lunch at Freddy's.
Nana got in some extra lovin' with her grandbabies and mama started packing up.
The morning of our flight, grandma wanted us to all come over for a big breakfast. She braided Elizabeth's hair one last time (she's so good at braids).
So pretty... wish I could do that!
Then it was time to be on our way...
From Kansas... to Chicago... and finally at 11:30 pm we were home.
Whew! What a journey! Is it any wonder we were exhausted?
Anyway... that's your Kansas Catch Up for ya!
Until next time...











