June 10, 2010

Liam's First Birthday

It's hard to imagine that Liam is now 1 year old! This year has flown by, which is so bittersweet! There is so much pride and joy in watching your children grow... reaching new milestones.... doing new things. At the same time, it is also difficult to let go of the things they outgrow.Very bittersweet.
With two little ones so close in age, this year has been somewhat difficult. A juggling act, really. Often I feel so much guilt for all that Liam doesn't get being the 2nd child--having to share the attention, time, and energy of his parents with his big sister. On the otherhand, I know being the 2nd child has lots of advantages as well--including an older sibling to love and learn from, along with more laid back,experienced parents! More than anything, though, this year has brought us so much joy! Yes, we are exhausted. Yes, the day-to-day business of taking care of these two is challenging, even stressful. And yet, despite all that, despite the stress and the guilt and the exhaustion, I cannot imagine life without our precious, Liam. His sweet nature; his infectious giggle; his cuddly, snuggly personality; his quiet observation of all that's going on around him--with thumb in mouth of course; his sensitivity; his two-tooth grin; the way he shyly smiles and snuggles his head onto my chest when a stranger says hello; his adoration for balls and cars and bears; his clumbsiness, his longing to be held... all the time; the way he plays and laughs and loves his sissy... all these things and more are what I love and teasure about my little man!

At any rate, while in KS we threw Liam a little birthday party! I'm so glad that we've been able to celebrate back home for both my kiddos first birthdays--making it extra special! Here are some pics from that day... I hope you enjoy! I know I sure did!


We chose an "All Star" theme since Liam's favorite word is "ball!" Which he repeated nearly a million times every time he saw a ball for nearly 2 months straight, often adding a "goooooal" after a big kick! Of course, since arriving in KS, he hasnt said it once--lol! Go figure! Both my kiddos would repeat words over and over and then just totally drop them to move on to something else. Since we haven't heard many words at all since arriving in KS, I think he's focusing all his efforts on getting mobile! He's finally started pulling up... and even climbed 3 stairs!
Here's the cake! Since I didn’t have much time, I only made the smash cake and then ordered cupcakes for the guests.
The Setup---red, white, and blue, and lots of stars to match our "All Star" theme.
Mommy's Boy
Daddy's Boy
As per tradition... we did donations in lieu of gifts! Since it was a ball/sports theme, we donated the sports equipment to Rainbow’s Kids Cove, Camp Woodchuck—a summer camp for children w/disabilities. I LOVE that we do donations instead of gifts--we SO don't need a thing, and it is nice to be able to give a small donation to various chaities in honor of each birthday. I have a feeling, though, it is going to get harder and harder to find charities that "match" the party theme. Not sure what we'll do when they demand a Barbie or Sponge Bob party--guess we'll have to get creative! Lol! 

Time for Cake!



Of course, Sissy helped...

I love this pic above! :)
It's amazing how different Elizabeth's first birthday and Liam's first birthday were! Elizabeth always hated being "confined," always wanted to be on the go... so when we put her in her highchair for her 1st birthday, she threw a royal tantrum--lol--which you can view here and also here. Of course, my laid back little guy, was just fussy for some cake! I just LOVE how differnt my kiddos are--it cracks me up! I love BOTH personalities and just love that I have two opposite ends of the spectrum!
Elizabeth & Cousin Jade

The aftermath--lol! Yes, that is ALL Liam! LOL!

About 5 minutes after taking away the cake, Liam stated crackng up for no apparent reason. Sugar high, perhaps? Lol!

High Five, Cousin David!

Meeting lots of family....
Great-Grandma Lois and Gr-Grpa Charles
Great Grandma Bea and Gr-Grpa Dick
Nana, of course

And lots of Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins
Above is my Uncle Chuck. Interestingly enough, my uncle was also a late walker and talker--he also had a precocious older sister who did everything for him (my mom who everyone thinks Elizabeth takes after)--lol! He's always been super athletic (winning marathons and even being scouted by pro-baseball agents in high school) and he can also talk anyone's leg off--doesn't know a stranger... living proof that taking your time to learn to walk/talk doesn't mean that will always be the case! 

Time to pose!

I made the matching shirts--Liam's is a big "1" and Elizabeth's is a star. Grandma Lois sewed them on, since I can't sew a straight stitch to save my life!  With the leftover fabric I also made a matching party hat!
#1 Brother & Sister!

Liam,
I can't believe how fast this year has gone! I love you more than words can express, sweet boy! I'm so blessed that God wanted me to be your mama! Happy first birthday!