May 25, 2011

Ballet Recital

The day after we returned from our beach trip, Elizabeth was scheduled for her ballet recital. I think I've mentioned on the blog that lately Elizabeth has been very fearful of new experiences and doing things alone, and often cries when I leave her. However, because we'd already purchased her recital costumes before all this anxiety began, I figured we should at least give it a try.
To prepare her we talked a lot about it, and how I really wanted to see her up on stage, and how I'd have to leave her to go sit down so I could take pictures, and how I didn't want her to cry, but to be brave, and that I'd wave to her and she could wave to me.
I had no idea what to expect. This age kiddos are so unpredictable. But she seemed excited--especially about getting to wear makeup and wearing her costume. And I think it helped, too, that the girls got to play in the dressing room before it was time to go on stage. Sometimes it helps to "warm up" to new experiences.
Still, I wasn't sure if she'd do it. After all, she's been crying at ballet and even Sunday School when I leave her for the past few months, so I just didn't know how she was going to get up on stage, by herself. But, she did it! Yep! She got up on stage, no crying, and performed her dances! Not only that, but she actually seemed to be enjoying herself--which made me so happy! She danced, she waved, she really hammed it up! I was so happy that she had the courage to do it, and even more so that she enjoyed it.
I have to say, I loved watching her perform. I felt so proud. And emotional. I also just had to laugh at my silly girl--which when you watch the videos you'll see why! She definitely marches to the beat of her own drummer. And I love that! I don't think half the time she was following the instructor or her peers... just happy to be out there dancing her way. At home one day I mentioned how I thought ballerinas were supposed to dance more slow and graceful, but she informed me, "No, mama! The faster, the better!" As you can see, she definitely implored this philosophy to her dance. I love it!
Back stage, I'd hidden a bouquet of roses to give to her when she was all done. It was a tradition when I was in dance, that my baby brother would give me a bouquet of roses after the recital. Well, unfortunately, daddy was out of town, and there was just no way I could bring Liam with me (he stayed with friends that evening--thanks Amy!) So I decided I'd just give them to her as a surprise afterward. What I didn't know was that we were suppose to give the flowers out during the grand finale. As you can see, at one point, she comes to the end of the stage with her arms outstretched, like, "Where's mine?" lol! But once back stage, I handed them to her, and she had the biggest look of surprise and pride on her face! "For me? Oh mommy, these are the best smelling flowers I have ever smelled!" lol!
Later I asked her if she felt proud for getting up on the stage and doing her dance without crying. She said yes, then added, "I want to do ballet every day, mommy!"

At any rate... here are the videos (below)! I uploaded the recital videos, but I also took some footage from the rehearsal. It cracked me up in the rehearsal how at one point you could tell she was bossing a few girls around, and I even saw her mouth the words, "Get on your number!" while snapping her fingers, which is such the pot calling the kettle black! Lol! Anyway, I was tired of uploading video... so I might have to add that one later. Anyway, hope you enjoy my tiny dancer! :)


Good Ship Lollipop


Simple Gifts


The Grand Finale