June 09, 2010

Garage Sales & First Bikes!

Our first order of business, after arriving in Wichita, was to do what Wichitans do best.... go garage sale-ing, of course!

In case you aren't from Wichita, and don't know, we Wichitans LOVE our garage sales. In fact, in Wichita garage sales run for 3 days straight, typically beginning on Thursday morning around 7am and run until about 3 pm, and continue on Friday and Sat. all day as well! And, did I mention.... they are everywhere?! Hundreds of garage sales, as far as the eye can see! In fact, when Oprah Winfrey did her big tour across America... she stopped in Wichita and did two things: Bingo and Garage Sales! They're what we're known for I guess--lol. Anyway, one of the reasons I wanted to drive home (instead of fly) was just in case I ended up with a large pile of loot to take home!

Anyway, on our first day of sales, I snagged Elizabeth this princess bike. It is her first official bike, in fact. She's been quite the pro on her little tricycle for awhile now (thanks in part to preschool!)... even making it all around the block when we go on walks! So I knew it was time to find her a little bike with training wheels, but decided that rather than pay full price, I'd wait for our trip home to see if I could find something for less. And boy did I.  I think I came across this one at the third place we stopped, and scored a great deal!

Elizabeth, of course, was in heaven when I brought it home! She's been wanting a big girl bike, and she loves Princesses, so this was the perfect find, and just her size!! Also like typical Elizabeth, it only took her a few afternoons of trying before she became a pro! The only time she really needs help, is if she gets stuck going up hill.... which isn't often since Kansas is so flat! Lol! Anyway, I'm so proud of my baby girl and there is just something very endearing that she learned to ride a bike here in Kansas! I just couldn't help but post some video! Enjoy!