February 19, 2011

Trip to the Zoo

On Friday, the weather was beautiful, so Vassil decided last minute to take the day off. Because we wanted to spend the day enjoying the beautiful weather, we decided a trip to the zoo was in store. I'm not sure how many times Elizabeth has been (lots!) and Liam has been a few times as well--although for sure, this was the first time he really got into it! It was a fun, FUN day! And surprising, not a single person threw a tantrum, which made the beautiful day all the more enjoyable. Anyway, here are the pics to recap!
 Here are my two goobers at the start of our trip.
 Elizabeth took charge of the map and led us where we needed to go.
 Here's my little Safari Boy!
Isn't he the cutest Safari Boy you've ever seen in your LIFE?!
I promise, someone mailed us a safari hat not too long ago--I'm sure of it! But on the morning we decided to go to the zoo, I searched high and low, but couldn't find it. Darn! He still looked awfully cute, though! 
Big sister was stylin' too with her new bedazzled Sketchers that light up, courtesy of Nana's Valentine package! We LOVE them!!! I've actually been wanting to get her some light up shoes for a long time (like most 3 year olds, she thinks they are the greatest things on earth!) But I really wanted to get the ones with the really cool, really bright lights--just didn't know where to find them. Well, these are them! We were both super excited when we found them in the box!!!
Anyway, one of the first exhibits we decided to check out were the seals. Boy the kids LOVED it!
Lots of giggles!
Lots of excitement!
 And after the seal would glide by and disappear, Liam would ask, "Where'd go? Where'd go?" And then laugh hysterically and say, "Dare is!" when one of the seals would return. Elizabeth was ALL giggles the whole time! BTW--how cute are these pics of the two of them checking out the exhibits, together?!
Oh my.
 We also got to watch the polar bear take a swim which was fun!
 Then it was time to hit up the little garden-inspired playground. I wonder how many pics I have of Elizabeth in this swirly vine? Lots I'm sure!
Liam wasn't too sure about riding the bee.
 My little flower child.
 Going down the slide. Such a big boy. He loves to ride the "Weee!"
 And Elizabeth on the giant leaf slide. Later Liam did this one all by himself while I caught him at the bottom.
Growing up I tell you!
After the park, we continued with our tour of North America, checking out pretty much every. single. exhibit. A first for us! The kids were so great! At times, Liam would kind of wander in his own direction--often following the cracks on the sidewalk, or getting off the trail all together. OH, and this pic above cracks me up. They kept moving around so I told them to put their hands down--which is why they look so unnatural--lol! ;)
Here's Ms. Queen Bee herself--absolutely refusing to look at me so I can take the picture.
Liam liked the jungle. The jungle exhibit at the Sedgwick County Zoo was always my favorite growing up--I LOVED (and was slightly scared of) the big bridge. I also love the huge bats that fly around inside (last time we went they were VERY active!) and the big aquarium tunnel and the waterfall and all the monkeys and birds and other neat things on display. Well, the jungle at our zoo doesn't even come close. Mostly plants and birds. But, it was still neat I guess.
There's my safari girl! :)
 By the time we reached Africa, Vassil and I were getting pretty tired. The kids were still doing great, though--lots of energy and in good spirits. Here are my monkeys checking out the elephants.
Can you believe what a big girl she is these days?!
Pilot Elizabeth--flying the helicopter in search of elephants
The Ocelot exhibit was BY FAR the kids favorite. They were very active and chasing/pouncing on each other. Liam started laughing and then started "meowing" loudly (only it usually comes out "Neeeow"). Elizabeth thought that was pretty funny, so she started "meeowing" and pretty soon a big group of kids showed up and the whole crew was meowing away. So funny!
 Before it was time to leave, we stopped to check out the giraffes and zebras.
And with that, it was time to head home.
What a FUN day!
And considering the Zoo Membership was a Christmas gift from my grandparents (which also gets us into the aquariums for free--yay!), then I'm sure we'll be back soon! (Thanks guys!)