February 25, 2011

Mac & Cheese


After 8 years of marriage (and 12 years being together), I honestly didn't think there was anything new I could possibly learn about my husband. We've pretty much talked about everything under the sun; at this point, there really are very few surprises. We know each other so well. He can even read my facial expressions--he teases me saying he knows what certain eye rolls and facial twitches mean. Lol! He's kind of right! Anyway, knowing each other that well, is a good thing, I think. But it also means we aren't surprised by each other much anymore.

Well, the other day, out of the blue, I was totally surprised.

While fixing supper one night--I was busy whipping up a batch of good ol' Kraft mac-and-cheese. I was about done, when he asked me, "Did you add the sugar yet?" I looked at him like he had lost his mind. "Nooooo..." I replied. "You don't put sugar in macaroni and cheese!" He insisted that it was part of the recipe, so I grabbed the box where the instructions/recipe was listed. But he continued, insisting I was wrong. "Fine. If you want sugar in your mac-and-cheese, then put it in your bowl. Not mine." Afterall, I've been making and eating mac-and-cheese as long as I can remember, and never once did anyone I know add sugar! It honestly sounded gross. Salt and pepper, maybe. But sugar? No way. Aside from making the standard Kraft mac-and-cheese since forever, I've also made my own homemade versions, along with lots of mac-and-cheese casseroles that call for things like corn and peas and chicken. But never once had I encountered a recipe calling for sugar. I thought he was crazy.

Well, during supper, while he was happy gobbling up his sugar covered mac-and-cheese, I decided I just had to try it. So I did. And when I did... OH MY GOODNESS! It was SO good! I took another bite of mine, then another bite of his, then another bite of mine, and another of his. The difference was LIFE CHANGING! Seriously, how have I been eating mac-and-cheese all these years w/out sugar?! I laughed so hard! "You were right! This is FABULOUS!" His reply, "I wondered why yours always tasted funny all these years!" Gee, thanks!

I think funnier than finding something out about mac-and-cheese that I never knew, was finding out something I never knew about my husband. It's nice after so many years of being together to have little moments where you are totally taken off guard. Afterall, who would have thought Vassil to be the mac and cheese guru? So funny!

Anyway, if you haven't ever tried the standard recipe with sugar--you should! Just add a quarter cup or so to the classic recipe! Yum-O!