I'm SO happy to report my baby brother is ENGAGED!
In fact, I'm so happy I just had to share w/all of you out in blogger-world!
He proposed today, to Elizabeth, via scavenger hunt. I knew it was coming, so it wasn't a huge surprise. What was a surprise, though, were all the emotions (and even happy tears) when the "official" Facebook announcement was made!
I'm not really sure why, but milestones like these always make me a tad nostalgic. Memories come flooding back. Like feeling him kick in my mom's tummy before he was even born. Or the first time I met him in the hospital. I was only 3.5, but I remember that day so vividly. Or the pride and joy I felt at telling EVERYONE I would meet that my baby brother was born--even reciting his height, weight, and time of birth when they asked. I was a big sister! I was SO proud! Seeing my brother's engagement news, makes me think back to all the fun we had as kids. Being 3.5 years older meant my brother bore the brunt of a big sister, much like Liam I guess. I was a biter. He was the one who got bit. I was a squeezer. He was the one who got squeezed. I loved to play tricks on him. I think my favorite was mixing up a pot of mud in the backyard and telling him it was one of his favorite desserts--chocolate pudding. He fell for it every time. Poor little guy. Memories of entire summers spent playing outside. Swimming in grandma's pool. T-ball. Climbing trees. Grandma's wigs. "Hat's for sale!" And who will ever let me live down the now infamous plunger story?
I know I haven't always been the best big sister. But I've always been so proud of my baby brother. And seeing him all grown up, seeing him find a woman who makes him so happy--someone to share his life with, I just couldn't be any more proud and happy for him!
Anyway, on the way home from church today, I mentioned to Vassil that I couldn't wait to get home and check facebook to see the news. Elizabeth, in the back seat, was listening. Here's the conversation that followed:
Elizabeth: "When I grow up I want to marry Liam."
Me: "Awww. That's so sweet, honey. But you can't marry your brother."
Elizabeth: "Why? I want to marry Liam. Why can't I marry Liam, mommy?"
Me: "First of all, you are just a kid, and kids can't get married. You have to be all grown up. Secondly, you can't marry your brother. It's a rule."
Elizabeth: "Well, then I want to marry daddy."
Me: "No, you can't marry daddy, either."
Elizabeth: "Why?"
Me: "It's another rule."
Elizabeth: "Oh... I know! When I grow up I will marry.... JESUS!"
Me: "Well, that's very sweet, honey. But you can't marry Jesus either. But you can love him with your whole heart."
Elizabeth: "Okay."
Anyway, it was such a sweet conversation. Despite all the torment, she really does love her baby brother. I couldn't help but visualize a moment just like this one, years in the future, with another very VERY proud big sister. Life has a way of coming full circle.
Anyway! Congrats guys!
We are SO happy for you! And so happy to have another Elizabeth join our family soon! :)














