October 15, 2010

Buzz Cut

Today Liam got a buzz cut. 
I didn't want to do it--I adore all his hair. 

Unfortunately, he's developed a bad habit of rubbing/twirling his hair while he sucks his thumb (as is obvious in the kids' portrait below). I never really discouraged this habit in the past, even though I knew all along that I probably should. I guess it was just too darn cute to discourage. It totally soothes him, and he mostly does it at night, almost always in conjunction with sucking his thumb, which is kind of a difficult time (with him being asleep and all) for me to discourage it even if I wanted. Not to mention, daddy used to suck his thumb and rub his ear at the same time (very similar) and when I was a baby, I rubbed a little pillow in my crib between my fingers so much that all that's left is the lace edging and a zipper. So, as you can see, it's kind of genetic.
Well, unfortunately, all the pulling has resulted in a little bald spot that has been growing larger over the past week. We noticed it after a trip to get his hair cut (just a trim). I'm not sure if when she trimmed it if that made it more visible, or if maybe he pulled out a chunk then (he was really stressed out and NOT wanting to get it cut--so I'm thinking he probably took out a piece when he was upset). At any rate, each morning after this incident, the "little" bald spot was getting bigger and bigger (or at least, it seemed to be), and each morning I tried my best to create a little "comb-over" of sorts to hide it the spot. 

Do you see it below??? :(
I teased him that he was looking more and more like daddy each day--lol ;)

Anyway, I did some quick researching online of how to get him to stop. Some sites recommended putting a little Vaseline or baby oil in his hair, so that it wouldn't feel the same (too greasy to play with). I decided to try it, but it was no deterrent. I also read that hats can help. So I tried putting LOTS of hats on him during the day so he wouldn't be able to pull/twirl his hair. Only problem... hats don't last long on Liam.
Nope. Hat's come right off. Although, in the few seconds that he keeps them on, they are SUPER cute! As is evidenced here.
And here.
And here.
And here.
And here. 
This one above is my favorite! It's a little Gap hat I scored at a consignment sale recently--it looks so big, but it actually fits him perfectly! He laughed so hard when I first put it on him.
Anyway, back to the point. The last resort I read about online was a buzz-cut--short enough that there isn't anything to hold onto so that the habit can be broken. 

I didn't want to do it.
I love his hair.
And I especially didn't want to do it now that it's getting colder.
But I'd tried everything 
and that little spot was just getting worse. 

Well, daddy begged and begged to shave it. 
And I finally caved. 
After all, what else was I supposed to do? 
Anyway, the haircut took place this afternoon. 
Liam did a great job. 
We turned on Sesame Street, positioned him right in front w/a bowl full of yogurt raisins...

and the rest is history...
And look at all that hair! Honestly, if it was just a little longer I'm sure he could have donated it! lol! Where does he get it all? 
It was funny, too, because at the end I asked him where all his hair went, and he replied, "gone!" lol!

Anyway, you can still see the bald spot, but I just couldn't let daddy shave it any shorter (even though he wanted to). I figure with how fast his hair grows that we will just keep trimming it with the No. 4 until the little bald spot grows in and then try growing it back out if he's out of the habit of pulling/twirling. Until then, I'm guessing everyone will just think that he got a really bad haircut. Oh well. Better than a comb-over, right? And until it grows in, I'm thinking we will be trying to get better at wearing hats longer. Although, despite my preference for the longer hair, believe it or not the little buzz looks really cute. I still prefer the long hair. But this is a change, and it definitely makes us all smile! I even overheard Sissy tell him several times, "Hey buddy! I like your hair!" :)

So that's that.