May 08, 2008

Never Say Never!

Okay, so when I heard how important crawling is to the brain, I was determined that MY CHILD would be a crawler!

Now that Elizabeth has been crawling for nearly 2 months, I often wonder, "What was I thinking?!" And while at the time I knew I couldn't MAKE my child crawl, I also knew there were a lot of things I could do to hopefully promote it. That meant lots and lots of tummy time (even when she didn't like it at first) and just getting her out and onto the floor whenever possible. That also meant that I would "NEVER" buy an exersaucer!

Well, that is, until now.

Because Elizabeth IS crawling, I've caved. First of all, I feel better about putting her in an exersaucer because she IS crawling. I no longer have to worry about her not reaching this milestone--she's there! Likewise, because she's there (and EVERYWHERE for that matter), an exersaucer sounded like a great place to "put" Elizabeth for a few minutes when mommy needs to "heaven forbid go to the bathroom" (as McD likes to put it). Likewise, these exersaucers, I have to admit, are lots and lots of FUN! And there is something to be said about FUN! Maybe they are hunks of blinking plastic (the type of toy I simply DESPISE), and maybe they aren't the most educational things on the block... but they are FUN! And a little bit of fun in an exersaucer each day (in moderation of course) can't be bad!

And now, believe it or not, we have two. Elizabeth's buddy Alex loaned us their Jump-a-Roo... which is like one of the doorway jumpers (and sort of like an exersaucer), but safer than those doorway ones because it is on its own stand, and not in a door. Likewise, I bought her an exersaucer that she can be mobile in... it allows her to walk around the table top. And while it does have lots of blinking plastic do-dads... I have to admit it does keep her entertained when I need just a few minutes to do something! And it's hysterical to watch her go running around and around that thing! Just hysterical!

Anyway, I guess I've learned a lesson! When it comes to parenting, never say never!

P.S. My poor second child will probably LIVE in one of these... isn't that the way it goes?! Poor Elizabeth has to be the one to suffer through with the uptight/overprotective parents. Let's hope she survives!

P.S.S. No, I'm not pregnant!