May 08, 2008

The Latest "Scoop"

While reading up on self-feeding, I learned that that when the baby starts demanding to hold the spoon, its time to let them have it.

I've tried my best to ignore these pages in the baby book for the past couple of months, which is when Elizabeth began grabbing for the spoon. Mainly, I hesitated letting her try out of laziness; feeding Elizabeth is a big enough mess when I do it, and I feared letting her try would be a larger mess when she went for it. As a result, the past few months have meant that I've become a pro at distraction tactics and fast spoon manuevering, in order to "sneak" food in without her grabbing the spoon or throwing a fit.

Elizabeth, however, has a strong will. And mommy has become VERY tired of all the tactics. As a result, yesterday I decided to go for it. I put Elizabeth in one of outgrown jammies (I anticipated a bib wouldn't do the job) and passed her the spoon. The result? I think pictures speak louder than words.

Anyway, Elizabeth had fun and did manage to consume two, possibly three, spoonfuls. And as you can see from her smile in the second photo, was quite proud of herself.

I guess maybe next time she will just have to go naked! :)