When I hear about all the things that are going on in this world, from wars and genocides, to earthquakes and hurricanes, to famines and disease -- I can't help but be reminded of Biblical prophesy relating to the end times.
Likewise, when I read these stories and see the tragedies that people face all over the world, I often feel a deep sense of sadness. I feel sad that people are dying and suffering. I feel sad that I can't do much to help. I feel sad that my daughter has to live in a generation that is increasingly corrupt and increasingly afflicted with these cataclysmic happenings. But above all, I feel sad for the people who don't see the warning signs and who reject Christ's salvation. Which is why I feel compelled to write. No, this post doesn't have much to do with Elizabeth, but I felt the need to post it here nonetheless.
Having recently given birth to Elizabeth, and experienced the pain of labor without an epidural (up to 9.5 cm), including excruciating back labor which I wish not on my worst enemy--I must admit that these signs remind me of my own contractions. Starting with the restoration of Israel in 1948 (which is perhaps the first and most specific sign), and slowly picking up in speed and intensity from there... these signs are getting stronger and more frequent with each passing day! In fact that's the very analogy Christ used himself, explaining how the signs of his second coming would start off slowly and sporadicly, but over time would start to pick up in speed and intensity -- coming more and more frequently, and more and more powerfully.
And 50 years after what many consider to be the first sign, we now seem to see warnings and red flags almost every day! Most recently with the tens of thousands killed in Myanmar, deadly tornadoes in the U.S., and now thousands killed in the earthquake in China. And that's just in a span on one week! Yet so many continue to reject the truth, trying to explain or rationalize it away. So sad!
Finally, I must admit I feel sad for another, more personal reason. Perhaps more than the sorrow I feel for those who reject Christ's salvation, is my sadness in the fact that I've done so very little with what I've been given. On far too many occasions, I've neglected to witness Jesus' love and forgiveness with those I know are lost. I've failed to share the most important message to those I care the most about, which is the simple fact that despite the state of the world in which we live, there is a light... and that light is Christ. And despite all the death and destruction we see around us, God is life, and God gave his own life to save us from our sins if only we would believe in him!
No, Jesus' second coming might not be tomorrow, or the next day, or even the day after that. It might not be in my lifetime or even a thousand years from now. On the other hand, it very well could be. And I hope those of you reading this are ready, finding salvation and solace in Jesus Christ!
--Luke 21:28 "But when these things begin to take place, straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."
5 days ago











