November 02, 2007

Thou Shall Not...

Okay... Okay... I'll admit it. I have stroller envy.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love my Graco Travel-System. It is durable, portable, fairly inexpensive and according to Consumer Reports the safest carseat/system around. I feel quite fortunate that Vassil's parents gave this to us as a gift off our registry!

Despite all that, I have to admit, I often find myself eying the brightly colored, stylish strollers that other moms so proudly push forth... you know the ones... on first glance they could be mistaken for a piece of modern sculpture if it wasn't for the two-year-old sitting inside. Along with the super chic everyday strollers, I'm also awed by all the different types of strollers you see these days. Along with the boring travel-system, there's the newly famous jogging stroller; famous for its large front wheel and angular/aerodynamic design...typically equipped with a pedometer and and a global positioning feature. Likewise, all-terrain strollers also seem to be quite popular these days, used for when you just happen to find yourself hiking a steep, rocky terrain. This particular stroller seems to be crafted of the same sort of titanium the space shuttle is made from, and of course is now considered a must have for moms whenever they think they might need to push their precious babe on anything but concrete. Finally, we have the simple umbrella stroller; although these days its anything but simple... and far from cheap! They, too, also come in stylish colors and "important" name-brands.

To top it off, any one of these strollers can reach in the upwards of $500. And as I observe the suburban moms that seem to engulf me, it seems that EVERY mom has one of EVERY type.

Is it any wonder, then, that I have stroller envy?

While I eye the moms with the fancy strollers, I also notice that these are the same moms who own (ney, dare I say lease) a Lexus SUV; their diaper bags (unlike the one I got free from the hospital) are designer Coach or Prada... and they ALWAYS, ALWAYS seem to find a way to match their outfit to the stroller they push. Again, these are the same moms I see spoiling their children with the latest and greatest toy... the one that is "guaranteed" to help reach those developmental milestones more quickly!

And even though, at times, I do indeed find myself feeling a smidge envious, at the same time I'm left feeling very sorry for these moms and the the state of motherhood in general.

I mean, does the typical mom really need anything MORE than the simple travel system? When was the last time the average mom competed in a marathon? Or even went out jogging for that matter? Yet, most moms you meet these days have their precious jogging stroller collecting dust in their garage, only to get it out and parade it around a time or two. And do we really NEED an all-terrain stroller? I mean, how often does the typical mom find herself hiking up Mt. Everest? Or even hiking for that matter?

The same mothers who MUST have the fancy all-terrain strollers, are the same moms who drive Hummers and Land Rovers... yet, ironically, live (not in the jungles of Peru or sandy deserts of Egypt) but in suburbia. Too funny!

What is more disturbing than the materialistic society in which we live, is the fact that I find myself getting caught up in it. I want what is best for my child, and I too, often mistake or confuse what is "best," with having the "best stuff."

As a result, I continue to remind myself that its okay to push a Graco stroller, drive around a Honda, and NOT have all the fancy mommy doo-dads. Not only that, but it is MORE than okay. No piece of blinking plastic can replace simply playing with your child. And NOT having is often the best way of instilling good values into a child.

So the next time you (or I for that matter) begin to eye the newest stroller on the block...remember what God commanded us and all will be well.

Thou Shall Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Stroller!