November 12, 2007

A Little Rant

The other day most of you probably heard the news story of how a woman only six months postpartum won the NY City Marathon. Upon her win, the news anchors hailed this as a victory for mothers everywhere, and the headlines sung the praises of such a fit, with-it mother. Every time you turned on the TV, there she was, 6-pack abs and all, declaring this a triumph for motherhood. In short, she was an inspiration to all new moms.

This, however, did very little to "inspire" me. In fact, to be honest, it really ticked me off.

And that's only the half of it... every mother I've met with a baby close in age to Elizabeth, is rail thin. When asked how they lost the weight they all claim they didn't do a thing... the weight just "melted away" from the calorie-burning breastfeeding. And while I'm sure that's true for most of these skinny you-know-whats, it still leaves me a bit frustrated and annoyed.

Okay, I'll admit it... I haven't been training myself for a marathon. I don't go jogging for miles or sit in a pilates class working on my "core." I have, however, been working out for 30 minutes every day, and I too am breastfeeding. And although I've lost 35 of the 39 pounds I gained, I'm still no where near fitting back into my old jeans, which in and of itself is mind-boggling!

So when I hear about this marathon mama, it makes me frustrated, not fulfilled. And the only thing it "inspires" me to do is to "run" to my freezer for some chunky monkey therapy. Sigh.