December 12, 2011

Out of the Mouth of Babes

So, last Christmas, the kids' favorite gift, by far, was their little pocket New Testaments. Okay, well, actually, it was a tie between their little pocket New Testaments AND their spin toothbrushes. But, they really loved their little Bibles. And one of my fondest memories last year was seeing the joy on Elizabeth's face when she found the Bible in her stocking. "God's Word! Mommy, look! It's God's Word!" If you haven't watched our Christmas video from last year, you should. It's precious.

Anyway, the kids carried their little Bibles EVERYWHERE for the first few months, and we made sure they brought them to church as well. But, somewhere along the way, Liam's little Bible went missing. We weren't sure if we left it someplace, or if it was lost amongst the clutter we call our house. But needless to say, we hadn't seen his little Bible in a long time.

Well, last night daddy found Liam's Bible (in his car of all places). When he came inside, he said, "Liam, look what I found! It's your Bible."

Liam's reaction could have made me weep! He screamed, "My Bible! My Bible!" as he came running. "Daddy you found my Bible! Oh thank you!" he said, holding it to his chest, practically in tears himself. "Daddy found my Bible! My Bible!" At one point later in the night, he was practically singing for joy that daddy had found his Bible. That's the only way I know how to describe it--dancing/singing for JOY! And when it was time for bed... guess what he wanted to take with him. Yep, his Bible.

Anyway, I can't help but be totally humbled seeing my children and their love for the Word of God. It humbles me because I think, "When was the last time I jumped for joy, literally, at the sight of my Bible? Or cried, literally, when I couldn't find it? When was the last time I had to have it with me in bed, and carry it with me everywhere I go?"

Truly, it is as Christ says: "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14