We hope you all had a fantastic Christmas! I know we sure did!
Although, it wasn't easy because I ended up catching a nasty cold (possibly flu) early in the week--fortunately no tummy issues, but fevers, aches, chills, sore throat, headache, and lots of congestion. Still, I was determined to get everything done on my list and to have a great Christmas. And I have to say, we did just that!
Let's see, the Christamas craziness began on Christmas Eve, with one last dash to the store to return a few items, and to just "see" if they had a Pony Star Castle Mirror--something Elizabeth has been asking for, that none of us really knew what she was talking about, and for which Mr. and Mrs. Claus were beginning to feel guilty about--especially when on the eve of Christmas eve, Liam very sweetly asked what Santa was going to bring Sissy, and when I replied with "Maybe a doll or a princess toy," and then he replied with, "She wants a a mirra!" I figured that if even HE knew that's what she really wanted, then it would be a shame not to get it.
Anyway, a quick drive to Target we ended up figuring out that the "mirror" wasn't actually a mirror at all, but a My Little Pony Carousel. Who would have known? So we made sure Santa got a quick phone call for that one last item. We also let him know it was on sale AND we had a $5 off coupon for any My Little Pony toy, so it was a very inexpensive last minute gift for him to bring.
When we returned home from our last minute dash, I had lots of other chores that needed to be done--last minute wrapping, and assembling, and some props/costumes for our church's children's performance to gather up. Not to mention, LOTS of cleaning to do (Santa couldn't come to a messy house, after all). And to top it off, I wanted to make a Christmas Eve feast because I figured with all the running around on Sunday/Christmas day, that I wouldn't have the energy for it--and figured leftovers would be nice. Anyway, to say I was exhausted would be an understatement. I literally felt like I was going to pass out! I think I overdid it too soon.
Our dinner turned out to be one of my favorite parts of Christmas Eve (despite feeling so sick), and I think it will have to be a tradition. I sometimes have a hard time fixing a BIG meal for just my little family, mainly because it's a lot of work for very few people--one of whom eats like a bird and complains about just about everything I fix. But I decided I wanted to do it, and I'm glad I did. I decided to make a spiraled honeyglazed ham (among other fixings), and when I brought it to the table, Elizabeth (who's been watching a LOT of the Grinch Who Stole Christmas on VHS) exclaimed: "It's the Roast Beast!" lol! I had to laugh! And of course my heart melted with pride when Liam told me, "Mama, you're a good maker." That little guy ALWAYS compliments me when I cook a big meal for him. Its amazing how little compliments about how he loves my cooking, or sometimes when he tells me I'm "boo-ful" can just make me SO happy!
I forgot to get a picture of our "feast" but here is a random pic of our kitchen looking clean :) Don't know why I wanted to share that. I guess maybe because it's rare that it looks this good! lol!
That night, the children could NOT fall asleep. This was the first Christmas we've had this problem. They were SO excited. Even Liam had trouble, which is VERY unlike him because normally he falls asleep the second his head hits the pillow, and he will often ask to go take a nap or tell us he's ready for bed. And to be honest, I wasn't sure he really understood a whole lot, so I didn't think he'd have a sleep problem. But obviously I was wrong because it took almost two hours for him to fall asleep, and almost THREE hours past bedtime for Elizabeth to fall asleep. They were SO excited!
When they finally did it was almost 11pm. I was exhausted at that point. I'd been up all day, overdoing it with my cold/flu, and I was SO ready to go to sleep. Mrs. Claus was READY to be done! After they finally went to sleep, I think it was another few hours of dragging things out and assembling things (including a car lot thingy that came with probably 100 small pieces that Mrs. Claus wanted assembled, but Mr. Claus did not, but who kindly agreed after some nagging) When Santa was done setting up, we realized it was a little overboard, so we ended up asking Santa to put away "some" things for next year or a later time.
Both kids got 3 main toys (we wanted to stick with 3 to represent the gifts of the Magi), along with stocking stuffers and a few books. Like previous years, Santa got a lot of stuff from the goodwill for next to nothing, and saved on all the other items as well. Elizabeth got a dollhouse similar to one she loves playing with at her friend Caroline's house. Santa apparently found a fantastic deal at a consignment shop for the house/furniture/and family--although, the family happened to be African American, but I told Santa that was okay and that we didn't mind. She also got a fur real pet (a cat that meows and purs and blinks), and a Pony Star Castle Mirror (aka My Little Pony Carousel). Liam got a car lot thingy (similar to one he LOVES to play with at church), an Alphie robot learning toy (since he wanted a toy with lots of buttons), and a boxed set of Tonka trucks.
Vassil did pretty good this year. I'd given him a hint about a a charm bracelet I found on Etsy--little wire nests, where you put the kids birth stone in the middle to look like eggs. I would LOVE to have something to represent my kiddos, but I don't like the traditional stuff out there, and thought this was unique and different. Well, he's not the best online shopper. So one day he went shopping with Elizabeth. When they got home, he quickly wrapped a few presents and put them under the tree. They were big, and they were from Walmart, so I knew they weren't my charm bracelet. Elizabeth announced that she had a clue for me. Seeing how I LOVE surprises, I told her that I didn't want any clues. Well, she persisted. "Mom!" she said, "Your clue is that your present is just like this" (pointing furiously at our downstairs TV) "...only for your room!" Gee! How would I ever figure that one out?! In all fairness, this is a pretty great gift, because I've been BEGGING Vassil to figure out how we can get TV in our bedroom. We don't have a cable jack in our bedroom, so we haven't had a TV in our bedroom since moving into our new house (almost 4 years ago) But I have SO missed the days of snuggling in bed with a good movie, or a little nightly news, before drifting off to sleep. Anyway, my other gift was an "receiver" so we can get our basic channels in the bedroom (it's actually a "box" so not noticeable). And my third gift from daddy was a thing that backs up your computer. I can't think of what it's called, but I'm SO bad about backing up my pictures (heck, even getting them printed) so I would be devestated if someone came in and stole our computer. So having the back up is a WONDERFUL gift! Thank you honey! You did GOOD this year!
I surprised him this year as well. I came home on Black Friday (after a quick run to Lowes for something we needed for our tree) and announced I'd found his Christmas gift. Oh, he was just sure it was a tool for a chore I wanted him to do. In actuality, I got him a firepit. I figured our whole family could enjoy roasting marshmallows and weenies this coming summer. But I knew Vassil would love it most of all, considering he's been BEGGING me to let him burn our leaves in the backyard. Um... yeah, not happening. But I figured, maybe it would make him feel better to burn "some" leaves in the firepit. He loved it and was very suprised! I also got him some clothes. He never buys himself anything for his own wardrobe, so every year I make sure I get him a few new things. He also seemed to like those as well. And let's face it... I'm not the only one benefiting from the TV in the bedroom! After 4 years, it feels like such a luxury!
Another present I got this year, came a little bit early and wasn't totally planned. So, about 3 months ago, I saw this beautiful Hooker TV Armoire at the Habitat for Humanity thrift store. It was beautiful and exactly what I've been wanting for our living room. The wall where the TV goes is big, and I always feel like I'm having to decorate around our little entertainment center, unsuccessfully at that, so I've been wanting something that's big, with bookshelves on each side. This was exactly what I'd wanted. Anyway, I was so in love I dragged Vassil into the store. He took one look at the pricetag ($350) and told me it was "hideous" and there was no way we were getting it. Well, a month later they had reduced the price by half. It was $175. Again, I started talking to Vassil about how great it would look in the living room, and what a great deal it is (seriously, Google "Hooker entertainment center," and see how much those suckers go for full price w/the bookshelves along the side). But he still wasn't convinced. He wasn't sure how we'd get it home on our own, and he really didn't want to have to bother someone he knew, so this would mean we'd have to hire someone to move it. He didn't feel it was worth it to pay for the delivery. So I dropped it. He was right. We didn't really need the entertainment center. And obviously the money could be better spent/saved elsewhere. Well, about 3 weeks later, I was early to pick up the kids from preschool, and rather than wait in the parking lot, I decided I'd run into that same thrift store for a few minutes to kill time. I knew that piece HAD to be gone for $175. But to my surprise, it was not only still there, but it was just a few days away from being discounted 50% again! Anyway, long story short, I convinced Vassil it was worth it and he gave me his permission (begrudingly) to go get it once it was reduced a 3rd time. I decided I'd set my alarm and be a few hours early the morning of--fearing I might not be the first person to the store, and miss out on my piece. Boy did I feel silly. No one was there. But I camped out in my car, and when they finally opened, I grabbed the price tag... and it was mine! And it was only $96!!! Woo-Hoo!
Anyway, what do you think?
I love it!
I love it!
And Vassil does too.
Even though he originally said it was "hideous" (after seeing the original price tag--lol) now he keeps telling me how much he loves it and even went so far as to say, "For once, you were right." The bookshelves light up, and there's neat DVD storage down below. To be fair, we actually we had to pay $60 to have it delivered. But $150 for a piece that would have been thousands brand new, totally worth it IMHO! I don't even think you can buy 2 cheap bookshelves at Walmart for that price. So, as the lady at the Habitat Store told me, "I done good!"
Even though he originally said it was "hideous" (after seeing the original price tag--lol) now he keeps telling me how much he loves it and even went so far as to say, "For once, you were right." The bookshelves light up, and there's neat DVD storage down below. To be fair, we actually we had to pay $60 to have it delivered. But $150 for a piece that would have been thousands brand new, totally worth it IMHO! I don't even think you can buy 2 cheap bookshelves at Walmart for that price. So, as the lady at the Habitat Store told me, "I done good!"
Okay, back to the kids.... Elizabeth LOVED opening all her presents! At one point, she opened a box of clothes and she yelled out, "Oh my gosh!!! Gorgeous clooooothes!" I had to laugh because I don't remember having such a reaction at getting clothes, especially at her age! Liam LOVED the car thingy he got from Santa, and just wanted to play with it the majority of the time--trying to get him to open his stocking and his presents was a little difficult. He was focused!
After opening stockings and eating breakfast, we quickly got dressed and headed off to church. As the 2s-3s co-teacher, I got it in my crazy head this year that we needed the kids to perform in front of the congregation. I figured we'd combine with the class above (3s-4s--Elizabeth's class) and that it would be easy and really cute! My co-teacher, Ms. Dianne, agreed. So a few months back we started practicing some songs with the kids, and working out some ideas we had for costumes, props, etc. Oh my! I kid you not, the two of us (and I think we are both pretty ubber-prepared, type A personalities) must have sent each other a good dozen emails back and forth in the weeks/days leading up to the performance. You'd never know all the work that goes into something like this... something that took literally 4 minutes to perform. But there are a LOT of logistics to work out! And the night before, I was SO nervous... even though I knew NO ONE was going to be looking/listening to me, I just HATE getting up in front of people, so I kept thinking in my mind how I was going to fall on the stage or how none of the kids would sing, and the congregation would get to hear my solo (which isn't pretty, especially with a cold). So anyway, I didn't get a wink of sleep the night before Christmas. Getting close to 20 (or more like 12 the day of Christmas--lots of kiddos were away) to stand up on the stage... and preferably to stand STILL on the stage, and to sing LOUDLY is no easy feat!
Anyway, there were a few things that didn't go as planned (like the kids dropping our "Merry Christmas" banners), but over all I think they did a great job. Looking back at the video (and let me tell you, Vassil and I have watched this video over and over we are SO proud) I can't believe how well Elizabeth sang... she really enunciated her words, especially right at the beginning of Away in a Manger! Beautiful! And Liam... well, Liam knew the words to ALL the songs, and was one of our best singers during rehearsals, but he's also one of our youngest in our class, and also the most stubborn. He definitely stole the show with some of his antics, but we loved it! My mama heart is SO proud!
When we came home from church, we finished opening our presents (we were TOTALLY spoiled, btw), and then had a leftover lunch, and then off to bed for some naps and rest. Then we skyped the family back home, which was SO nice!
The kids have LOVED having daddy home, which means lots of wrestling! And frankly, I'm SO glad he's home too--especially with this nasty cold I just haven't been able to shake. OH, and along with lots of wrestling also came a new game entitled "Swaddle the Baby" from their blankets/animals from Grandma Charolyn!
LOL!
OH, and in case you can't tell, the kids have had a BLAST playing with all their new toys! It has worn them out!
LOL!
OH, and in case you can't tell, the kids have had a BLAST playing with all their new toys! It has worn them out!
Yep. It has been a great Christmas.
I am beyond blessed.
Merry Christmas, everyone!











