Remember our old bathroom?
It wasn't totally hideous.
But definitely not my style.
Definitely dated.
Well... here's the new bathroom.
Granted, I still have a lot of touch up work to do. And it's definitely not perfect. But I do think it's a lot better than it was before. And I'm pretty darn proud of myself for changing out the plumbing, the light fixture, and doing everything ALL by myself. Since I konw this stuff stresses out my husband, I made the decision awhile ago I would just have to learn how to do it myself. And thankfully for You Tube you can learn how to do just about anything (from changing a faucet, to a light fixture) using their tutorials--I used the Home Depot and Lowe's videos to help me w/these projects.
As mentioned previously, I changed out the builder mirror for a framed one. I scored this for under $30 at Kirklands. My preference was for an oval shape, but previously I had a piece of art that was circular above the toilet, and I might put it back in lieu of the grassy/flowery sconce (I can't decide) but I thought an oval mirror next to the circular art piece would look off... so I decided to go with a rectangular, and it looks good.
I picked up the new delta faucet at Lowes for under $100, and the new light fixture for just over $50. The paint was another $60. And this "shower curtain" is actually a curtain panel I had previously. It's not "quite long enough to stretch the entire shower, though, so I might have to buy another one. I'm still trying to decide if I like it. At certain times of the day, it gets kinda brown, and I like the reds/greens. I REALLY wanted to buy a pretty new vanity. But the minimum price was $500+, so I decided I'd just paint the ugly laminate a dark chocolate brown for now. I also added some decorative wood peices to make it look more like an old wood vanity instead of just a painted wooden vanity. Changing the knobs was also easy and very inexpensive. I'm pretty sure the entire renovation was under $275. And overall, I'm happy with the results.
Another way I saved was instead of changing out the shower fixtures (faucets/knobs/etc) I found a tutorial online on how to paint them to give them that "antique bronzed" effect to match the sink faucet/vanity knobs, and new light/mirror/and towel/TP holders. Here's the link to the tutorial: http://blog.addicted2decorating.com/2011/01/diy-project-how-to-paint-bathroom.html
I'm VERY tempted to try it on my door knobs (which are brass--blah!). Considering how well it worked on the metal shower fixtures, I think I might give it a try. Worse case scenario, we have to replace a door knob or two. Of course, I know those suckers add up, so I'll just experiment on a few before I do them all.
Anyway, the cost to replace the shower fixtures would have been around $300. The cost for 4 cans of spray paint, under $20--so a great way to save. And I think it looks great on peices that aren't "stand out pieces" like little hooks, knobs, or fixtures that aren't seen/used much. I also couldn't bring myself to spend $20 on shower curtain rings... so I bought some cheap plastic ones and did the "antiqued bronze" affect on them... and you'd never know the difference! I should have done the same for the shower curtain rod, instead of buying a new one.
Anyway... what do you think????
Definitely not perfect... and it's definitely taken me a LOT longer to finish (I still have a ton of touch up painting to do--sigh)... but I think overall, it's a much better, more updated look!
Now, all we need to complete our guest bath is... guests! Who wants to come visit????
As mentioned previously, I changed out the builder mirror for a framed one. I scored this for under $30 at Kirklands. My preference was for an oval shape, but previously I had a piece of art that was circular above the toilet, and I might put it back in lieu of the grassy/flowery sconce (I can't decide) but I thought an oval mirror next to the circular art piece would look off... so I decided to go with a rectangular, and it looks good.
I picked up the new delta faucet at Lowes for under $100, and the new light fixture for just over $50. The paint was another $60. And this "shower curtain" is actually a curtain panel I had previously. It's not "quite long enough to stretch the entire shower, though, so I might have to buy another one. I'm still trying to decide if I like it. At certain times of the day, it gets kinda brown, and I like the reds/greens. I REALLY wanted to buy a pretty new vanity. But the minimum price was $500+, so I decided I'd just paint the ugly laminate a dark chocolate brown for now. I also added some decorative wood peices to make it look more like an old wood vanity instead of just a painted wooden vanity. Changing the knobs was also easy and very inexpensive. I'm pretty sure the entire renovation was under $275. And overall, I'm happy with the results.
Another way I saved was instead of changing out the shower fixtures (faucets/knobs/etc) I found a tutorial online on how to paint them to give them that "antique bronzed" effect to match the sink faucet/vanity knobs, and new light/mirror/and towel/TP holders. Here's the link to the tutorial: http://blog.addicted2decorating.com/2011/01/diy-project-how-to-paint-bathroom.html
I'm VERY tempted to try it on my door knobs (which are brass--blah!). Considering how well it worked on the metal shower fixtures, I think I might give it a try. Worse case scenario, we have to replace a door knob or two. Of course, I know those suckers add up, so I'll just experiment on a few before I do them all.
Anyway, the cost to replace the shower fixtures would have been around $300. The cost for 4 cans of spray paint, under $20--so a great way to save. And I think it looks great on peices that aren't "stand out pieces" like little hooks, knobs, or fixtures that aren't seen/used much. I also couldn't bring myself to spend $20 on shower curtain rings... so I bought some cheap plastic ones and did the "antiqued bronze" affect on them... and you'd never know the difference! I should have done the same for the shower curtain rod, instead of buying a new one.
Anyway... what do you think????
Definitely not perfect... and it's definitely taken me a LOT longer to finish (I still have a ton of touch up painting to do--sigh)... but I think overall, it's a much better, more updated look!
Now, all we need to complete our guest bath is... guests! Who wants to come visit????











