The last week my family was here, we had VBS. Fortunately, it was a nighttime thing, so we were still able to do things during the day. Unfortunately, since VBS is in the evening (so more people can participate) this means the kids (when you factor in the drive, a snack when we get home, baths, etc) weren't getting to bed until 10 PM most nights! YIKES! But definitely worth it. I think Elizabeth really got into it, and Liam... well, he was fussy (esp. with it so being late), but I'm glad he got to participate as well. I know I had a blast helping with the preschool Bible story room.
OH, and in case you can't tell, our theme this year was "Upside down on Mainstreet."
Anyway, here are a few pics:
From left to right, meet: Jennifer, Jennifer, and Jennifer.
For clarity, the Jennifer on the left goes by Jenny, and Jennifer and I usually go by our last initial. I have enjoyed getting to know these ladies more over the past few years. And you know what, it's amazing how much you learn about people while hanging out squished behind a puppet show curtain! I don't think I've laughed that hard in a LONG time! Good times!
Above: Jennifer B. leading one of the lessons. We had quite the crew, let me tell you! One group had 27 children. And in total, our church had 200 children and 100 volunteers! Craziness!!! But good craziness, you know?!
I figured Liam would LOVE the "theme" of VBS this year (since it incorporated so many "city" things, like roads and cars, things he LOVES). In fact, we even brought in this big Bob the Builder pop up tent as part of the decor for our room. But I think it was just too late for him to get into it. Plus, he HATES sudden changes, and the way our VBS is structured, the children have to rotate to different stations (Bible Story, Games, Crafts, Music, etc), so he didn't enjoy that part. Although... he WAS a big fan of the bubbles, as you can see in this pic! This night was on "forgiveness" so we were popping our bubbles, the way God pops away our sin.

Above is one of the many crafts the kids made. The Bible story for this craft was on the Good Samaritan, so they got to put band-aids on their little man. They did a lot of other little crafts, lots of games (including bouncy houses and water slides) and (as tradition) a they made a tie dye t-shirt to wear for the last night performance. Although, we were exhausted for the performance, and since this age only gets up to sing one or two songs, we decided to stay home. Also, with it being one of the last nights with Nana and Maddie, we thought it better to stay home.
Anyway, here's Elizabeth's "official" VBS pic from this year (see above). I think she had a really good time! She talks a LOT about God and Jesus, and she's started saying longer prayers these days. One morning she woke up and the first thing she said was, "Mommy, Mommy! Last night, before I fell asleep... I asked God to come into my heart!" And lots of prayers these days will go something like: "Dear God, thank you for this day, and for the food we are about to receive. Thank you for daddy and mommy and Liam. Please help Bella's paw, and please heal Elitsa's cancer, and help the baby Koala bear who was hurt in the fire (we were flipping channels one day, and it landed on a story of a koala bear who was hurt in a fire--we pray for him A LOT), in Jesus name we pray, Amen." Her prayers melt me! Liam has also started praying--more at night than at mealtime. They usually go something like, "Dear God. Thank you dis day. Thank you for food. Thank you for my bankie (blankie), thank you for my bed, thank you daddy, thank you mommy, thank you sissy, AMEN!" Precious. He also included (at random) his Sunday School teacher to his prayer the night before her son was having serious surgery to remove his colon. And ever since, Mrs. Dianne has been a regular in his prayers. He loves her SO much!
Anyway, just for fun... here's Elizabeth's "official" VBS pic from last year. I think I was too mortified to post it on the blog last year. But it is now something both Vassil and I laugh about... and believe it or not, we really cherish this pic. This is classic Elizabeth at age 2. I love it! Man, what a difference a year makes!!! And in case you can't tell, yes, she is throwing a tantrum ON THE FLOOR when they took the pic!
OH, and for some reason, we didn't get a pic of Liam this year. Do I dare even ask why? Lol!
Anyway, I can't wait for next year. Fun, fun!














