So, we were overdue for a trip up to DC to visit Vassil's family. So after some discussion, we quickly decided on a date for us to drive up and spend some time w/the grandparents. The week before the trip, though, Liam caught a nasty virus. He was running a fever, and threw up (all over me!) and was not a happy camper. Fortunately it only lasted a few days then he was back to his old self. Although, a day after feeling well, the following day he was covered in a weird rash. And turns out all our little buddies we hang out with had come down w/the same virus--followed by the rash. A quick trip to the doctor and they ruled out strep, and figured it was just something viral. We were told we were no longer contagious and given the clear to head out on our trip.
Since Liam was cleared to go, and since he was also long over due for a haircut, I decided a few days before our trip to take him to get a trim. I'm ever amazed at the ladies at Sports Clips. When it was his turn to get into the chair, he started crying. To be honest, I wasn't even sure what about, but his hairdresser sure did. In the most adorable Spanish accent, she says to him "Oh, you no like da blower? No blower! No blower! I no use da blower? You no like? I NO use. Okay?" He was good after that. She even let him squirt the fishies on his poncho and let him pick out TWO lollipops.
At any rate, the journey up to DC went without a hitch. The kids did great and were SO excited to see Baba and Dedo. Spending time with grandparents is ALWAYS the best! They love all their many grandmas and grandpas and Nanas and Papas and Babas. They loved giving hugs and getting hugs. And getting spoiled rotten! We took several walks on the beautiful trails in their neighborhood, and got to swim in their swimming pool. Elizabeth LOVED getting to write on one of Dedo's notebooks and playing with all the stuffed animals. One night we turned on the TV and all that was on was gymnastics--oh my goodness, the kids went NUTS watching it. Liam would watch the girls run and jump over the vaults or up on the balance beam... and when they were done, he'd say, "Okay, my turn. I do it." And then run in circles and fall to the ground and roll around. Such a silly boy! We all got a kick out of his performance and gymnastic moves.
We also got to play with cousin Lily, who is a few months older than Liam. She was a little shy to warm up to us at first, but Elizabeth quickly took her hand and they were off. The girls played with some of Elizabeth's toys that she had brought. And Sissy even made her a necklace and bracelet so "she can always remember me" she said.
By far, the kids favorite part of the trip was the playground. Mainly, this school bus. Liam, especially. He was in LOVE with this bus and didn't want to part from it. He was so funny too because he would really use his imagination... he'd get on and say something about how he was the bus driver... then he'd run over past us to an imaginary person and say something in fast jibberish (I'm sure he knew what he meant) and then say, "Yeah, Okay." Then run back to the bus and do it over and over again. He would also get off the bus and tell us he was getting gas, then get back on and say, "Okay, here yo money!" Ha! If only it worked that way... getting paid to pump (although, in all fairness, I think he's remembering a time when daddy pumped gas then handed me some cash afterward). So funny! Baba and Dedo also played INSIDE the bus!
While at the park, Elizabeth enjoyed getting everyone including Dedo to play hide and go seek. Liam played too... but his interpretation of the game usually consists of counting to ten then yelling "Found you!"
Anyway, since Baba and Dedo can't come to Elizabeth's birthday party, and since her birthday is JUST around the corner (*sniff*) they decided we should have a little surprise party to celebrate. Without telling Elizabeth, they ordered a cake, and bought Princess balloons and cups. When we came back from a trip to the park w/cousin Lily, Dedo led Elizabeth into the kitchen for her surprise!
She was thrilled!
"Hmmm.... what should I wish for?"
If it's anything like the wishes she makes when she throws a coin in a fountain, it probably went something like, "I wish I can live in the land of Princesses" lol!
Of course, birthday girl got her dibs of the biggest, pinkest rose on the cake! I think it took her close to 3 days to finish this piece. I kid not.
Liam loved the cake too, as you can see! He finished his piece in one sitting.
Before Lily had to go home, I wanted to get one pic of the cousins. I didn't realize my reflection was on the door behind the kids until I got home. Am I seriously the only one smiling??? Sigh. Still, they sure are cute cousins, don't you think?!
Anyway, after Elizabeth's party, we spent more time at the pool. Liam wasn't a huge fan of the pool. We actually haven't been swimming much since swim lessons. Well, actually, not at all. So he wasn't having any of it. Elizabeth, was a little fish w/her swimmies, though.
The pool was lots of fun, but VERY cold, so I only took a dip a time or two.
Back at the house, we enjoyed hanging out on the front stoop.
It's a tradition that Vassil and his dad HAVE to do something to the cars whenever they are together. Oil changes, tire rotations, you name it. I guess it's a male bonding thing?
Well, it was so cute because Liam decided he needed to help as well.
Just one of the guys.
My precious boys.
Both kids LOVED playing with lots of random objects in Baba and Dedo's house. Like this magnifying glass... which Liam called his "Spy Glass." Where does he get this stuff from? Lol!
Well, the day before we were due to leave, we decided we'd get up and head to DC for a bit. We've already toured quite a bit of DC before. And because it was SCORCHING hot, I really just wanted to do some indoor things. Since we enjoyed the Museum of Natural History on our last visit (which you can reminisce about HERE) I figured it would be fun to check out. And best part, it would be free.
We ended up scoring great parking spots right near the Mall, and walked over to the Museum. A very nice gentleman walking by saw Vassil take a picture of me and the kids and then offered to take a pic of all of us.
We said yes of course. Then when he finished Vassil asked why he was so nice and if he was running for office--lol.
When we got INSIDE the museum, we had the same thing happen again--a different gentleman asked if we wanted him to take a pic of our whole family. Again, we said yes, and again Vassil pulled out the same joke--lol! No, not running for office. But apparently manners haven't been totally lost on these Yanks!
Anyway, last time we came to the museum Elizabeth was still pretty little so we just checked out the animal section of the museum. This year, we were ready for the dinosaurs.
As soon as we stepped inside the dinosaur area, both kids just lit up in excitement. Oh my goodness, they were excited! Running all around, telling me about the dinosaurs, even naming some of them. Elizabeth loves Troladons. I don't even know what a Trolodon is. Lol!
Liam loved it too! Although, I'm not sure he was a HUGE fan of this HUGE T-Rex.
We checked out the aquatic animals area (oh my gosh, the giant squid was SO freaky!) and then saw the bugs/kids area. By then, we were getting pretty tired.
As we headed back down to the main level, we decided to take a quick spin through the animal exhibit.
Elizabeth was still super excited at this point. Where Liam was just taking it all in you could tell.
After wrapping up the museum, we had planned to walk to the aquarium. But we ended up getting a bit lost, and in the scorching heat we decided we'd just head back to the car and head home.
We stopped to check out a few sculptures on the walk back to the car.
And a fountain or two.
After we made it back to the car, we started driving, and I was pointing out different monuments and telling them what they were. I was saying things like, "And this is the Washington Monument. It's a big obelisk which is like a tower, made for our very first president George Washington. See it looks like a #1 and George Washinton is our 1st president! And that building over there is our Capital. That where Congress makes laws for our country. And did you know, the President lives here in Washington DC?" I was about to add, "And he lives at the White House..." but before I could, Liam in the backseat yelled out... "WHITE HOUSE!" I kid you not! Our jaws dropped---lol! It's funny what they pick up or overhear!
Anyway, after Liam yelled "White House" we decided we HAD to see the White House before we left.Daddy drove and drove and tried to find a road that wasn't totally blocked off. We finally found a road that lead right up to it, and there were even parking spots--so we decided to stop one more time and get out.
Anyway, that's where my pictures end.
When we got home, Vassil was feeling sick. Actually, he had been feeling sick the previous night, but still wanted to get out and see the city. But after getting home, he was feeling even worse. We all took naps, but after waking up from our naps, daddy's head was hurting even worse, and even scarier, he was having pain behind his eye. I knew it was bad when I told him to call his doctor, and he actually did. It was apparently the worst headache he's ever had in his life, and his doctor told him on the phone he needed to get to an ER. We had thought it was just a sinus infection (which Vassil gets a LOT) but the dr. said with those you usually have drainage. Vassil didn't. Anyway, I tucked the kids into bed, and ended up falling asleep myself. When I woke up in the morning, I found Vassil had slept downstairs. I asked him what had happened, and if it was a sinus infection. I was SHOCKED when he explained that they'd done a spinal tap in the ER and checked for viral meningitis and it came back positive. I kid not! I was panicked, but Vassil said the drs. said it wasn't the scary kid (bacterial meningitis) and that there wasn't really anything they could do. He needed fluids and rest and his body would fight it off. Let me tell you... that was SO SCARY! We drove home that morning, and Vassil actually felt okay to drive us out of the crazy DC traffic. Around lunch we approached Ikea (which is where we usually stop on our trips to DC) and I figured Vassil would want to keep driving, but surprisingly he needed a break and thought the kids could burn off some energy running around the store. Plus, they have yummy food---so we ate there too. The rest of the drive, I drove. And a few hours later we somehow made it home safely and in one piece.
Vassil has been resting up since then. He has some strong pain killers that help. When they wear off, he's back to feeling bad. But when they are working, he feels much better. Tonight we went for a walk, and I think he's on the mend. I am SO thankful!
Oh, and I didn't mention this, but as you can see, even Bella enjoyed the trip!
Anyway, that was our fun, crazy, scary trip to DC!
OH, and double crazy was the EARTHQUAKE in VA/DC that came a few days after we got home. How crazy that we were just there?! Even crazier than that...we TOTALLY felt the earthquake, all the way down here! Crazy!
Anyway, that was our fun, crazy, scary trip to DC!
OH, and double crazy was the EARTHQUAKE in VA/DC that came a few days after we got home. How crazy that we were just there?! Even crazier than that...we TOTALLY felt the earthquake, all the way down here! Crazy!











