The other day, I decided to take Elizabeth to the local planetarium. They were having a "Family Science Day," and you could get in free. I would have taken the entire family, but it was right around nap time, and I knew Liam just wouldn't be a happy camper at that time of day without his nap.
The topic for the Science Day was on "pollinators." This was a GREAT topic for Elizabeth because she's developed quite the fear of bugs lately. Of course, it didn't help that we had that HUGE invasion of cicadas that lasted about two months, and often I'd find myself screaming out when one would fly at me. So I know that rubbed off on the kids. And of course, she somehow managed to get stung by yellow jackets TWICE this summer already. She keeps saying, "Mommy, I don't like living in the woods. There are snakes and ticks and bugs in the woods. I want to live where there aren't any woods... like Kansas." Vassil swears I told her that--lol. I didn't. But I feel the SAME way!
Anyway, learning about how important bugs are to our flowers and food was perfect timing... although, to be honest, not sure it had much of an impact. She still hates bugs and bees and anything with wings. With the exception of fireflies of course!
Anyway, while there, we decided to watch a Magic Treehouse movie in the dome theater. We've been reading Magic School Bus chapter books, which she LOVES! And while on vacation we were introduced to the Magic Treehouse books by buddy Delanie. We ended up picking up one at the Goodwill one day, and she's also seemed to really like the story... so I thought the movie would be great! Plus, I hadn't yet taken her to see a movie in the planetarium, so I figured that would be a cool, neat experience.
It definitely was. The subject of the film was on space/stars, so having the planets and the stars whiz all around you was REALLY cool. I could INSTANTLY tell she loved it! At several points I'd oooh and awww at all the stars, and say something like, "Wow! God sure made a lot of stars, didn't He?" and she'd just nod in amazement.
As we were leaving, I noticed a verse of scripture on the wall above the door leading into the theater. Thought that was pretty awesome too! And even more awesome, Elizabeth's Sunday School lesson this week was on how God made the sun, moon, and stars! Perfect timing!
All in all, a fun trip!











