June 30, 2011

On Tuesday...

We loaded up and headed over to The Book Harvest to drop off the book donations we'd received for Liam's birthday. The lady in charge had organized a little volunteer day for sorting books, and along with dropping off the books, I also thought it would be great if the kids could "help." So off we went...
 Elizabeth really got into it and was such a big helper. Her job was to put sticker/labels on the front of each book. She was thrilled and did a great job. She did all of our books, and another box full of books all on her own. When the lady in charge told Birthday Boy (and all of us) that she was so happy that we had donated books, she then added, "It's hard to believe there are kids who don't own a single book, but there are... and we will make sure your books go to kids who need them. Do you have books at home?" Elizabeth then chimed in, "Yes, we have lots and lots of books at home. But we wanted to bring these books for kids who don't have any." Oh, my little mama heart just melted right there.
 I know it looks like from this picture that Birthday Boy was a big help, too. Unfortunately, he was not. When we walked in the door, we realized there was art/sculptures EVERYWHERE! Including several sculptures that looked like cars. Oh, he wanted nothing more than to play with those cars, and threw himself down on the floor when he was told he could not. Fortunately, his fits never escalated into screaming tantrums. But he pouted and pouted the entire time and would throw himself down every time he thought I was looking at him. The drama I tell you! In total, I think he had 3 time outs and absolutely refused to put a single sticker on a book. Ugh. I told the lady in charge, "Can you tell he just turned two?" Sigh. Well, at least I know this is a phase and that one day it will pass. And that even though he doesn't get the whole giving thing just yet, that one day he will. I'm glad we did it this year, too because even though he doesn't get it, I know for a fact big sister did.
After we were done, we drove to a mall nearby, where they were having a special sing-a-long at Pottery Barn Kids. The lady who gave the performance is a local artist who is WONDERFUL with the kids and I'd heard great things, so we wanted to check it out. I was nervous as to whether Liam would do it or not, especially after a morning of pouts and fits. But he did great. I think it helped TREMENDOUSLY that they had these little chairs set up. That was something knew and different, and he liked that. He liked sitting in the chairs. I know at our local library, they don't have little chairs, and he just wants to run. We don't go to story time very often these days as a result--lol. 
Anyway, it was precious because half way through, Liam came and sat in my lap. He watched and sucked his thumb and rubbed my hair. With his thumb in his mouth I couldn't tell if he was smiling or not, but at times, his eyes would light up in a big grin, so I knew he was enjoying it. He especially liked the frog... who at the end, he had to go say hello and goodbye to. Sissy did GREAT too! I feel like she's officially out of the terrible twos phase. I can take her places and I know she will sit and listen and be relatively well behaved (most of the time). She's still full of energy. But for activities like this, she really does very well. Right before we sang, "This Land is My Land" she asked the children if they'd ever driven to another state. Elizabeth raised her hand high and waited patiently to be called (unlike other kids who would shout out), finally she was called on and she said, "I've been to Kansas to see my Nana!" I could tell she was proud that she contributed.
 After the concert, we met daddy in the food court for lunch. The Chick-fil-A cow is almost always at the food court (but always with a different hat each time). My children LOVE that cow. They bombard him with hugs and high fives.
 Several times during lunch I'd have to get up to go get napkins or straws, and they'd follow me so they could say hello to the cow. Liam was so funny, he'd scream, "Wait for me! Wait for me! Wait for me cow!" and then yell, "Coooooooow!" as he'd come charging in for a big hug.
Poor cow. Lol.

Anyway, that was our Tuesday. 
Good stuff.