May 03, 2011

Super Why

We have officially hit the "Why?" phase with Liam. This is kind of a new thing for us, as Elizabeth never went through a phase where she'd ask that question over and over again. I'm not totally sure why--I guess she was always more interested in exploring things and getting into things, whereas Liam likes to sit back and kind of soak things in more. Often, he will pop his thumb in his mouth, and just lie back, lost in thought. Where Elizabeth is my exclamation point, Liam is my question mark :) Anyway, the "Why?" phase is new, and totally adorable. Here are just a few conversations that were had today alone:
Me: Liam put down the stick.
Liam: Why?
Me: Because I don't want you playing with it on the steps.
Liam: But why mom?
Me: Because you might fall and it might poke you.
Liam: Why?
Me: Because if you fall, you might fall on the stick, and that would hurt.
Liam: Why?
Me: Because sharp things can hurt.
Liam: But why Mom?
Me: (throwing the stick to the ground): Here go play with it on the sidewalk, just be careful.
Liam: Oh-tay mom.... but why?
....    .....    .....    .....    .....
Me: (said firmly) Liam it's not nice to hit Sissy.
Liam: Why mom?
Me: Because it's not nice to hit. (taking him by the hand to time out). Now you're in time out because you hit Sissy. It's not nice to hit. Stay in time out.
Liam: (said with saddest voice ever) Why mom? Whyyyyy?
....    .....    .....    .....    .....
Liam: Where'd daddy go?
Me: He had to go outside and spray the ants and he'll be right back.
Liam: Why?
Me: Because... (singing) 'The ants were marching one by one hurrah, hurrah!'
Liam: Why?
Me: Do you remember when I showed you all those ants marching on the fence?
Liam: Ants? Marching?
Me: Yep. Daddy needs to go spray them.
Liam: Why?
Me: Because ants are yucky and we don't want them to get in the house, so daddy will spray them.
Liam: Spray? Why?
Me: Because the spray will kill them.
Liam: Kill? Why?
Me: So they will be all gone.
Liam: Why?
....    .....    .....    .....    .....

Me: Liam, it's time for bed.
Liam: Why?
Me: Because the clock says its time.
Liam: Why?
Me: Because it's dark outside and time for everyone to go to bed.
Liam: Why?
Me: Because we all need to rest from all the fun we had today.
Liam: Rest? Why? 
Me: Because if we don't go to sleep, we'll be tired.
Liam: But why Mom?
Me: Let's just listen to Mommy and get ready for bed, okay?
Liam: Oh-tay. But why?

I think you get the drift--lol!
Ironically, almost exactly when all these "Whys" started, he also started insisting on wearing his "Super Why" mask.... everywhere.
Super Why... in the car.
Super Why... in the restaurant.
Super Why... pointing out some Super Letters!
Super Why... at Sissy's soccer game.

Super Why... chasing Sissy.

And catching her.
Why, I wonder what sort of "why's?" I'll get tomorrow?
I can't wait to find out!