May 01, 2011

Happy May Day!

As per tradition, we gathered up some flowers from our yard, wrapped them in paper cones, left them on our neighbors doorstep, rang the bell... and RAN!
 Elizabeth did NOT want to do it the first time... but did so a little begrudgingly. I think she thought she was going to get in trouble. It probably didn't help that I told her we had to be really sneaky and then run away after we rang the bell. But she did it, and we ran and giggled all the way to the street. The second time, though, she all out refused to do it. She just wouldn't. Nope. Wasn't going to do that again. And because I could tell she was getting stressed out, I didn't push it. I went up the steps of our other neighbors, left the bouquet, rang the bell, and ran--all by myself! Lol! Let me tell you... it was just as fun as it was when I was a kid!
As we were heading home, Elizabeth decided she DID however want to leave a bouquet for her friend, Olivia, who lives a few houses up the street. So we went back to the house, cut more flowers, and walked back over to Olivia's house. This time, she was INTO it! She put the flowers down, and before I could ring the bell, she was running up the hill and back home. In all, I think we only got caught once, which isn't bad considering we all have such long driveways and large lots (which makes the get away a little trickier).
 Anyway, I can't wait next year when both kiddos can get involved. Liam was fussy, so he stayed with daddy in the stroller for our nightly walk. But I can just picture the two of them in a few years, plotting their targets and their getaways, and running home giggling all the way! Such fun! I think, too, a part of me loves passing on this tradition because it feels a little old fashioned, something that reminds me of a bygone era, something I always did with my grandma Lois and my Mom... something that instills the joy of doing something nice for your neighbors... and something most people don't do anymore. And frankly, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it isn't a commercialized holiday? Maybe it's because people just aren't neighborly anymore? Who knows. But truth is, it is SUCH a fun tradition. I had a blast doing it as a kid--and I think by the time we did our 3rd set of neighbors, Elizabeth got into it, too!

Happy May Day, everyone!