May 10, 2011

Cicada Mania

So apparently the red-eyed Cicada (brood XIX) comes out once every 13 years. And this is their year to reemerge. Let me tell you...they are CREEPY! They are LOUD! And they are EVERYWHERE!!! 

You might not think ciadas are creepy... but these guys are MUCH larger than typical cicadas, and they have weird red eyes that give me the willies! Granted, I am NOT a bug person AT.ALL. They also sound TOTALLY different than the typical summer-time cicada. Their noise is constant, and sounds industrial or almost like an alarm or a UFO landing or some sort of machinery vs. the typical chirping sound of the regular cicadas. In fact, when the noise first started, our neighbors thought the gas line had burst, or that perhaps there was some drilling going on in the adjacent neighborhood, so they contacted the gas company to come check it out. Turns out, the noise isn't heavy machinery... but bugs. Millions of bugs to be precise. I'm not sure on your computer, but on mine, I had to turn the volume all the way up to get the full effect. They are SO loud I can even hear them indoors... and that's saying a lot when most of the time I can't even hear my dog barking from inside. CraZY! Had to post...