Elizabeth turned three on Sunday!
It is so hard to believe that the tiny baby who I brought home from the hospital (in what feels like just yesterday), is now a full fledged preschooler! I honestly cannot put into words how that makes me feel as her mother.
Because Elizabeth's birthday falls on Labor Day weekend, we decided to postpone her birthday party for next weekend. Most of our friends tend to travel on Labor Day--not to mention, we weren't really sure how Daddy's surgery/recovery would go. I've gotta say, it is feeling very anti-climactic, so next year we might just stick w/Labor Day even if that means a low turn out. But I know she'll have fun and I'll post lots of pictures of her Big Day soon!
Anyway, Elizabeth's actual birthday began w/Sunday School. There are 8 children in Elizabeth's class (2's--3s). I'm helping coordinate a teaching rotation this year. Sunday was my first day teaching the group. Only 4 kiddos made it--but WOW! It is a LOT of work! And a lot of fun... we sang songs (for which, only Elizabeth sang--lol) and a lesson, entitled "The Bible is a Special Book" We painted on aluminum foil (and talked about how the Bible is special and a shining Light to the world). For snack time, I brought in the Snickerdoodles that gr-grandma had mailed Elizabeth and we all sang "Happy Birthday."
At the end of class is time for "Free Play." Under MY watch, Elizabeth fell from a rocking toy, and banged her nose pretty hard on the floor--you can see, her nose is QUITE bruised. I promise--there is just SOMETHING about birthdays, holidays, portraits, or any other special occasions where lots of pictures will be taken, that my children WILL scar up their face. It is practically guaranteed.
After church, we let Elizabeth open up the presents she got in the mail from her grandparents (and great grandparents). She loved EVERYTHING! A very cool Princess bubble wand, Princess camera, Princess books, Princess baby doll, Princess crafts, Princess Tutu... are you sensing a pattern? Even the wrapping paper was Disney Princess.
In case you can't tell, my girl has bought hook-line-and-sinker for all the Princess propaganda. It's definitely NOT what I'd like for her to be "into." As my mom put it, "the lie starts early." But, it is honestly impossible to avoid. Not only are there several toy aisles devoted to the franchise... but the Prinesses are also on things you might not expect: Toothpaste, Campbells Soup, Mac&Cheese, Vitamins. I keep waiting and praying for the day when Broccoli and Carrots will be shaped like Princesses (maybe then she'd eat them)! Vassil and I try our best to always point out the "inner" qualities that make the Princesses beautiful--such as their kindness or bravery or intelligence. And at the same time we are hoping the Princess phase is over soon.
Liam had fun helping open some of Sissy gifts--and he even had a few of his own! PLEASE ignore what he is wearing--Daddy and Liam stayed home from church on Sunday, and this is how I found him when I came home. Yeah.
Anyway, that night after opening gifts we decided it would be nice to go out to dinner to celebrate Elizabeth's official birthday. Both kids love Red Robin--and it tends to be pretty family friendly, so off we went!
On the way into the restaurant, Elizabeth tripped and scraped up BOTH knees pretty bad. They match her bruised up nose perfectly! Again, this goes back to the whole "I-will-bang-up-every-visible-appendage-phenomenon" that occurs with every special occasion. Sigh.
Anyway, the waiter was extremely friendly and when he found out it was her birthday, asked if we wanted the staff to come sing. Without thinking, we agreed. Perhaps we should have thought this through a little better... as soon as the VERY loud clapping and singing commenced, Elizabeth was in daddy's lap (head burrowed into his chest) and Liam collapsed his little head on the table in fear. Oh my.
Anyway, it was a fun day and I honestly cannot believe my once little tiny bundle is THREE!
Thanks Nana, Grandpa Clay, Aunt Maddie, and Gr-Grandma/pa for all the gifts! Elizabeth was SO thrilled by EVERYTHING (the Bubble wand has been a HUGE hit, and the $6 in Happy Meal money is tucked proudly away in her Snow White purse--she talks about it all the time! Not to mention all the cool mermaid/under-the-sea toys--which was so thoughtful and the Rock Star outfit from Aunt Maddie is sure to be super cute!!!)











