August 18, 2009

Wilton Classes

I decided to sign up for a Wilton cake decorating class. Partly because I always enjoyed helping my grandma decorate cakes growing up, and partly because I wanted to learn more, and partly because I REALLY needed to get out of the house. Anyway, I was a little nervous that everyone else would be pros at this, but I felt a little ahead of the game for the first two classes; all those years watching and helping my grandma must have paid off. This week we focused on the frosting recipe/different consistencies, the star and dot tips, and frozen buttercream transfer. Next week, we will learn the rose (we'll see how that goes--yikes)!

Anyway, here's my first creation. We were told we could do this rainbow design, or come up w/something on our own. I thought this was cute (plus, I couldn't think of any thing else) so I made it for Elizabeth since she is almost two. Clearly, I need to work on my letters... not easy... which is why I abbreviated her name (no, we don't call her Lizzy)! She LOVED it, though! Later I scraped off her name, and decided to bring it to a playdate w/a pal who just had her second child, which is why I left the "2". I've decided that I need to get rid of all my practice cakes! I eat enough icing while making/decorating, and I don't need the temptation of cake, especially when I still have another 15 pounds or more to lose!

Anyway, I'm proud of my first creation and can't wait to learn more!