GINORMOUS!!!! And what is really scary is I'm only half way there!
Looking back at my 20 week shots when I was preggars with E., I was so tiny! I remember even losing weight that first trimester with her! This time around all I want to do is eat! And I get MAJOR cravings from time to time. Which, by the the way, yesterday it was for that yummy cheese ball grandma made for Christmas... the one with the peach-pepper preserves! Send recipe!!!
The good news is that I've only gained 11 lbs at my weigh-in yesterday. So not too shabby considering I'm half way there. My doctor wants me to "try" to only gain 25 this time, and to stick to a gestational diabetes diet (even though I don't have gestational diabetes) in an attempt to keep the baby as small as genetically possible. This means low carbs, low sugars, and only the organic meats/dairies rather than the regular stuff which is full of hormones/steroids (thus making bigger babies). Doing the organic thing has been easy, even if more pricey. The sugar thing is tough, though, especially when the doc made a point of telling me to stay away from pop and even juice due to all the sugar. URG! I mean, come on! What else is there?
Aside from the weight issue, the doctor was also pleased with all of my other stats thus far! I talked to her about what the ultrasound tech had said, but she said the stomach size was within the range of normal, and not to worry... and that the techs always find "something" little and, again, not to be concerned.
I'm still feeling pretty good these days, but am definitely starting to get uncomfortable from time to time. My sciatic nerve always bothers me (did with E. as well), my back hurts at the end of each day, and now that I'm feeling the baby, there are times when s/he moves in a really uncomfortable position making it hard to breathe or move without doing the pregnant-waddle. S/he has also taken to waking me up in the night just kicking away... so much so, that I wasn't able to fall back to sleep the night before!
We have gone ahead and hired two doulas who will act as support during the pregnancy, and one of whom will be there the day I deliver. We had seriously considered hiring a doula with Elizabeth, since it decreases your chances of a c-section by something like 75%... but then decided against it. This time, though, we really want someone on OUR side, someone we feel comfortable with, and someone who is going to do everything in her power to make it go as well as possible, no matter what the outcome.
We are hoping for a successful VBAC, mainly because the very thought of another c-section (the pain, the recovery, etc.) is really scary. Likewise, if we go with a c-section with #2, and decide down the line to have more kiddos, then #3 would HAVE to be a c-section as well... and being cut open 2 or 3 times just doesn't sound like a good thing. Another reason I'm hoping for a VBAC is I think a weird part of me would really like to be able to do this the old fashioned way! I know that's weird, but it's how I feel. Last time we came so close, and I did so well without drugs for the longest time, and with back labor to boot, that suddenly being rushed in for a c-section was a bit of a shock to me. And to be perfectly honest, I think I actually felt a lot of guilt. Of course, above all I want a healthy baby, so if that means another c-section... well, then that is what it will be. And having the doulas there, no matter how s/he is born, will hopefully make for a more joyous event, instead of what turned into a pretty scary one with Elizabeth.
Anyway, that's all for now. More belly shots to come :)
4 days ago











