July 18, 2007

Busy, but Blessed!


Now that I'm back to work, things have been much busier for me and it almost seems unreal that the baby will be here in just about a month and a half!

BABY BBQ & BLESSINGS FROM AFAR

To begin a busy week, last Sat. a few of my colleagues hosted a BBQ for baby Elitzin. Jessica, hostess numero uno, put so much thought and time into the little get-together... complete with black and white toile napkins and beautifully arranged stations of food/drink. She even made delicious cupcakes with pink and blue frosting... and the color each guest selected represented their guess as to the sex of Baby E. I went for one with a little bit of both colors, since I really don't have any idea what we are having. Deanna, hostess #2, also put so much creativity into a game in which clues were read relating to the baby and you had to come up with the answer in the form of a candy-bar name. For example, "What did Vassil do the night they conceived..." the answer: "Skor." Another, "Baby Girl's name..." answer: "Baby Ruth." And of course, "How would you describe Jennifer at 9 months..." answer: "Big Red." So creative!

It was also SO nice to read all of the books people brought... it seemed to say so much about each person's personality. And I LOVED reading each one. I've gotta say that the book entitled The Night You Were Born made me cry like a baby and will definitely be a book I cherish with baby (thanks Sandylee!)

It was SUPER weird, however, to have this "celebration" without the people we really wish we could celebrate with. And to be honest, although the BBQ was such a sweet gesture of the girls from work, it actually threw me into a bit of a depression... feeling lonely and homesick for family/friends in Kansas. We've lived here 2 and a half years and it still doesn't feel like home... and no matter what we do, we are still away from our loved ones.

It did feel nice, however, to be so overwhelmed with messages, cards, and packages you all have been sending. You can't image how thankful and blessed we feel... and what simple joy we take out of the smallest little baby things! And hearing from those of you we miss so dearly! And it definitely helps brighten our day when we come home and find a card or receive a call from those of you we miss!

BACK TO WORK

This week Baby and I also started back to work. My new position has me working in three areas until I deliver (at which time I plan on a year-leave). At times, I feel a bit like I'm being pulled in a million directions... and also like I don't have much time to get a whole lot accomplished. I guess, however, I'd rather be busy in these last months than bored out of my mind. I think this current position will definitely help to make the time go by faster.

THE BABY

With all of this activity I would have thought the baby would be less active. But not so. Each night I record "kick counts" for my doctor. According to the doctor, it is normal to feel 5 kicks/movements in an hour... anything less, and the doctor should be called. Most nights I'm counting 16-22 strong movements. However, one night I actually lost count around 60!!! I'm worried that either A) the baby is abnormally active, or B) that I'm counting wrong. Next Tuesday is our next appointment, so I will have to check with the doctor then.

Last night we had our 2nd birth class. For one of the activities we were split up into small groups and each group was given a phase of labor to "act out" and the group had to guess which phase it was. Well, Vassil (being the ham that he is) became the pregnant woman for his group. He stuffed his shirt with a pillow and described some irregular pains he was having, along with a pinkish discharge. Everyone was dying in hysterics! Too funny! That's Vassil!

Last night's class also had an emotional impact on Vassil. After watching a video, Vassil has decided that (if possible) a natural birth would be, although difficult, very moving/powerful. As he put it, by having an epidural you seem to be numb to the spiritual aspect of birth. I don't totally disagree with him. However, if medicine is needed, it's needed. If a c-section is needed, it's needed. I don't want to be the type of woman who gets one vision in my mind of an ideal birth... because all too often it isn't going to happen the way you think/plan. I feel like looking at this from all angles, and being flexible to whatever is necessary, is the best approach. However, this class is definitely making me confident that a natural birth is possible. As the cheesy video stated, "Labor is difficult, but the woman is strong." LOL!

Anyway, now that I've written a novel, and had to get up about three times just to pee, I guess I better go.

Please keep us in your prayers! I can't speak for Vassil, but I know that I've been a mixture of emotions (happy, sad, excited, anxious, etc.) And I'm trying my best to be strong.

LOVE AND MISS!
~Jennifer~