September 18, 2011

Elizabeth's QOTD

So the other day I fixed a crock of homemade chili for supper. The kids refused to eat it. Crazy, because not only was it probably one of the best chili's I've ever made, but equally crazy because I served it "Frito Pie" style, and honestly, who doesn't love frito pies?! Come on!!! Well, not my crazy kids. They ate the fritos and the cheese, but probably took only 3 bites of the chili, and only after lots of negotiating and picking at the "green things."

Well, the next night we still had quite a bit left over I knew the kids weren't going to eat it so while getting everything ready, I decided to make them PB&J sandwiches. I'd fussed enough the night before trying to get them to eat it, and I really wasn't feeling up for the same battle a second night in a row. I rarely do this. I rarely make a second "meal" for the kids, and when I do, I try to make it a little more substantial than just PB&J... I try to get in a meat and a veggie. But I was tired, so it was going to have to do.

Anyway, I set the table and had the kids' PB&Js set out with everything else. After I finished, I hollered up that dinner was ready. A few seconds later, Elizabeth came running down and straight for the table (probably still hungry from not eating the night before).  She took one look at her plate, and instantly a look of surprise came over her face. I do believe seeing the PB&J, neatly cut into triangles sitting on her dinner plate, totally caught her off guard since that's not typically a "dinner" food.

She looked up at me, and this... my friends... is what she said:

"OHHHHH! Mommy!!!!! You are really turning into one great CHEF!"

I died laughing.

Forget the homemade chili that sat slow cooking the day before. Nope. I'm a chef because of my ability to master the fine art of PB&J.

So funny.