September 17, 2011

Apple Pickin'

Fall has FINALLY arrived to our area. 
And let me tell you what... it feels SO good!
Fall... I've MISSED you!

Anyway, we decided we wanted to check out a little apple orchard not too far away. I've never gone apple picking before, so I thought it would be fun for the whole family--especially with the beautiful weather.
 Well, Saturday ended up being overcast w/a chance of showers, but we decided to head out anyway. There was only a small chance of rain, and we figured if anything it would probably just be some drizzles. Plus, we just needed to get out. 
 Despite the overcast sky, it was actually a beautiful morning. We didn't feel any rain/drizzle, only a crisp/cool morning--perfect for picking apples!
 So we grabbed a few baskets and set out. 
 Both kids did a great job. Liam collected lots of apples on the ground. 
 And I helped him reach some high up. 
 Sissy did great and was on a MISSION to get apples--she was focused and seemed to have a great time with it!
 I love this pic!
 Same pic, just closer up. They're such sweeties!
OH, here (above) is Liam pouting... he was upset that he couldn't ride the tractor. It took a little bit of convincing before he realized picking apples was just as fun as checking out the tractors... or at least close.
 Daddy and the kids :) Liam was scared he was going to fall in the pond (even though they were a good 10 feet away) so he didn't want to take the pic. Where does he get this worry stuff? He's 2!
 "The apple of his eye!"
 I wanted a pic w/the kids too... but by the time I passed the camera to daddy and called the kids over, they were already running for the tractors. Sigh.
 Liam was disappointed that this tractor was locked so he wouldn't sit for a picture w/Sissy. He REALLY wanted to get in and "drive." He tells me almost every day about how he wants to drive a tractor or an excavator or some other big machine. So funny!
 Check out the dust... she's worked hard!
It was funny because at one point I saw a truck driving by and I told the kids, "Okay, get over here, there's a truck coming." I guess that took Liam by surprise, because he instantly had this look of panic, took one step and then just feel right over flat on his face. He was COVERED in dust from head to toe. I forgot to take a pic I was too busy dusting him off and consoling him. But I don't think I will ever forget that. Vassil and I couldn't help but laugh and laugh--telling him how he's such a silly boy. You know, my boy is SO sweet, and SO smart... but he's also REALLY clumsy. He is. I love that about him. There are times when he will just literally fall over! But I think he's growing out of it... and I think, too, because it took him longer to crawl/walk maybe that's part of it. But he's really gotten FAST and you should see him "jog" nowadays (complete with his little fists up) it's so cute!
 Anyway, since the big tractor was locked, Liam spotted this little guy and begged to hop on. I probably shouldn't have let him. But we sat for just a minute before moving on...
 Liam wasn't too happy about having to move on...
 We decided to check out the goodies in the barn. The kids samples "apple cidar" slushies and Vassil and I had hot apple cider. We got to sample some of the breads. 
 Vassil decided to buy us a few pieces of the cake--it was THAT good!
 When we were all done, we wandered back to the parking area and let the kids swing one last time. 
 Elizabeth LOVED the tire swings. I sure wish we had a tree that could hold a tire swing. All our trees are tall and thin w/zero branches. My grandpa had a tire swing and I used to LOVE playing in that thing growing up. So many memories there...
 "Weeee!"
 I tried to get Liam to sit on the tire swing... but he knows his limitations. "No thank you mama" he told me. He hates swings. 
After that, we packed up and headed home. 
With the bushel of apples we picked, we decided to make Apple Butter... in hopes of canning and giving to our preschool teachers. I've never made Apple Butter, nor have I canned before, so I hope this works! I'll be sure to post pics if it does! Until then...