September 16, 2011

1st day of Preschool

Can you believe it?! 
I officially have TWO preschoolers! Can someone please tell me when they both got so grown up? 
The kids were SO happy about their first day. Sissy (having experienced this before) was a little nervous. But we talked about how that was okay, and it was okay to feel nervous on the first day. Liam, totally oblivious to what was about to go down... was all smiles.
 I kinda expected for Liam to be the one to run right in, and for Sissy to cry. At church, this is the case. Sissy gets VERY nervous around new teachers and often cries (nay, wails) for me to stay. Liam, though, is usually fine. And I figured w/all the new toys, he'd be extra fine.
Well, the kids totally surprised me. Sissy gave me a kiss and ran right in. Liam, on the other hand, wailed. So far, almost 2 weeks into preschool, Sissy is doing SO great at drop off, and Liam continues to cry. FORTUNATELY, I've been told he doesn't cry long (it helps that the first thing on their schedule is playground time) and when I come to pick them up, they are BOTH all smiles and full of so many stories of all the things they did that day. It's wonderful!
After Liam's first day the teachers told me he was SO smart and such a sweet boy. He stopped to give them each a hug before leaving his class. And Sissy's teacher has only given me positive feedback--and she even got to be the VIP one day last week, getting to help the teachers pass out papers and serve as the line leader. Pretty awesome stuff!
Look at these wittle bitty hands. 
I know they are growing up, but when I see these little hands it reminds me they are still so little.

 And would ya check out those cute backpacks. I let the kids pick (obviously) thinking if I made the backpacks a big deal, it might make going back a little easier. They honestly don't need backpacks for preschool... but again, it does seem to help. Plus, they come w/handles and wheels and I think they will be perfect for our many travels in the airport.
 Anyway, as you can see, their first day was just BEAUTIFUL! 
 They've had a wonderful few weeks, and although it breaks my heart to think of my babies all grown up and off to school, at the same time, it has been SO nice to have some time to run errands and clean the house w/out the kids. And I think it's made me a better mom to have a little "break." I feel WAY less burned out and have SO much more energy to play and have fun on the days when they aren't in preschool. A win-win situation for sure! I just pray in the coming weeks Liam does better at drop off--it breaks my heart to see him cry when I leave :( I'm sure it will come...