I'll cut to the chase...we're okay. I've gotten a few emails, so I wanted to go ahead and post this for those of you who don't have facebook and were worried.
The tornadoes that hopscotched across the South, missed our area. Although they did wreak havoc on a few towns over, where lots of our friends live. The devastation is bad. At least 22 have lost their lives. Lots injured. Lots of destruction. Lots of people who've lost everything. I simply can't imagine. Fortunately, as far as I know, everyone we know is okay and no major damage. That's not the case, though, for SO many. I can't get over the images I'm seeing online--hundreds and hundreds of pictures of places I know, and places where I eat and shop and play. Totally destroyed. It's mind boggling.
I've got to say, living in the South is a little scary when it comes to tornadoes. Since living here we have yet to experience a hurricane (which they say are far more likely to hit than a tornado), and yet, we've been surprised by how many tornadoes have passed this way. What's even more scary is there are no sirens or warnings to let you know to seek shelter.
Tornadoes in KS are far less scary, mainly because we have systems in place. There are sirens to alert you to get to safety, most people have basements, and there are shelters for those who don't. Basically, you hear the siren, and know to go to safety. I've done this a million times growing up, so it doesn't scare me. Although, if one hit, I'm sure it would be scary. But at least we'd know what to do and when to seek shelter.

What is scary about living here is there are no warnings. No sirens. No basements. No shelters. Unless you "happen" to be watching TV, you'd never know to seek shelter. And yesterday, we didn't have our TV on. So we didn't even know it had happened. Thankfully, it didn't come our way. But what if it did?! That's what's scary, you know?! We actually just last week renewed our account with a local news station, where we are "supposed" to get an automated call to let us know to seek shelter. Sadly, we never got the call.
Anyway, I did want to let everyone know that we are okay. I'd gotten a few emails--so thought I'd post here. Thanks to those who were thinking and praying for us. It will no doubt take the community a long time to rebuild, and even longer to heal for those who lost loved ones.

Through it all, it's amazing to see God's hand working. The stories coming out are miraculous to say the least. We know He works together for good, and we know He'll use this for His glory.















