August 22, 2010

Bella Update

Well... Bella never ended up getting surgery.

I dropped her off fully expecting that she'd have it done, only to receive a call about 2 hours later from the board-certified surgeon that she couldn't find the rupture that our Vet thought she felt. She even put her completely under anasthesia and did the exam to be completely sure--but couldn't find much indication that it was a torn cruciate ligament. She called saying she didn't feel like it would be right to perform surgery on a dog who she didn't think needed it.

That was the good news.

The bad news is that almost a thousand dollars later, we still have no idea what is wrong.

The surgeon said it is possible that the ligament has just started to tear--but it is so small she can't feel it. Or that a disc has been dislocated, or that fluid has filled the knees, or that something else could have pulled in her knees or hips or back. She just couldn't tell.

Something is wrong. They just don't know what.

Anyway, they sent us home with a huge concoction of meds. It will either get better or worse--and if it's the latter, then we'll have a better idea of what is causing it. Although, I'm hoping and praying that that doesn't happen. Praying she gets better.

I don't like seeing my baby in pain. I don't like that she can't tell me what's wrong.

When I brought her home from the Vet, she looked like she'd been hit by a truck. I've never seen her that way. They said she'd be sore for a few days from all the manipulations they did trying to figure out what was wrong. They gave me pain meds for it--but still, those first few days home were really rough.

Fortunately, her spirits are better. She continues to have difficulty standing up after lying down, and struggles some to lie down. Not really limping--just having a hard time getting around. :(

I'll be sure to post if anything changes.