August 15, 2010

14 Months

It's impossible to believe that Liam is 14 months old. But he is!
At 14 months, Liam is doing lots of new things...

His favorite things these days are:
swings, swimming, and wrestling Sissy. 
He loves to do all three.
He just giggles and giggles, and often does the sign for "more!" I love to watch how happy he is pouncing all over Sissy--honestly, our house is like the WWF around here some days! Or to hear the squeals and screams of delight when Liam and I chase Sissy around the house, pretending to be bumble bees--they both love this game. Or to see his little face light up with every push of the swing--his hair blowing in the wind, giggling all the while. Or to see how happy he is when we go swimming--throwing him up in the air, only to splash down in the water--the best!

OH, and I can't forget kisses! He LOVES to give kisses--closed mouth, with an "mmmm" said with each smooch! He's such a loving boy! I get so many each morning! :)

He's started making this really silly face whenever he gets disciplined or whenever he feels shy. He scrunches up his nose and kind of laughs. Its adorable!

His favorite words these days are "Go!" and "Daddy" (instead of just Dada) "Cacka!" (said for cracker--or really any sort of food) and Wee or Wee-ngs (for swings), along with "Da" or "Ya" (for yes) and "Ne, ne, ne" (for no) and "Dare!" (for there) and "Woah!" usually said when he falls down. Sometimes he says "Go-do-Go!" which is the book we read every night--he loves it! And best of all, he has been saying "Mama" more often lately, which is SO nice since up until now he'd only rarely say it, usually only when he'd get reaaaally upset. 

And he understands so much these days! At the same time, he has also taken to lots of points, grunts, and caveman babble to get his point across. It's really funny because this babble is full of all sorts of intonation and gestures--we're sure he's telling us all sorts of amazing things, we just don't know what yet!  The folks in nursery always tell us how he's had whole long conversations with the adults in there!

In nursery, Liam has not been doing very well--lots of stranger anxiety and crying (nay WAILING) when mommy tries to sneak out. I've been spending lots of time in there with him, as a result, and am hoping this phase will be over soon--he did great today, so that's good! 

Having spent a good deal of time in the nursery these days, I've noticed that Liam has turned into quite the little bully. I say that jokingly of course. Whenever he sees another little one coming toward him, you can tell he's desperately afraid they are going to take his toy. His self-defense mechanism kicks into high gear--he hides the toy behind his back, or turns away, and will let out the meanest scream to other little one. His poor buddy Jude got quite a bit of this during VBS--making him cry every time. Babies who don't cry at his scream, and continue to come toward him, he'll throw or even pull hair. I tell him "No... we don't x,y,z" ever time, for which he gives me the cute scruntch face, or will hang his head down. But it continues. This is another phase I'm PRAYING he grows out of soon. I know he's only doing those things because he's so afraid they are coming for his toy and he doesn't have the language yet to deal with those feelings or to know what to do. Not to mention, I'm sure he's picked up some of these tricks from big sister. Oh my!

Despite his tantrums and temper--at the same time he continues to be pretty laid back. I remember Elizabeth always hated being "confined" to anything--highchairs, strollers, grocery carts, etc. and would just have the biggest tantrums over them. It was exhausting. Liam doesn't mind those things. In fact, he's usually pretty happy to chill out in a stroller or grocery cart. He's loud and often crying for a "cacka!" but he hasn't ever thrashed around desperately trying to get out, like sister used to. Shopping isn't easy with him, but it is a lot easier than it was with her. And now that she's a big girl, and can walk beside us, shopping with Elizabeth has gotten a million times better!

He's perfected the "crabby-crawl." Now though, it is less of a crawl, and more like a half-walk. I don't really know how to describe it, except that his left leg and right arm does all the work, almost in a squatting position, while the right leg stays down in a seated position. It's definitely unique and very cute!
He loves to climb--steps, chairs, the fisher-price picnic table at church--he just wants to climb! He has also starting walking w/push toys. He hasn't figured out how to manuever them just yet--so he walks in a straight line until he bumps into something, then gets really mad and screams for me to help straighten it out, and off he goes again. He's also been working on standing up on his own without holding on to anything. Sometimes he stands up and is so balanced and can stand for a few seconds, most other times he falls right back down. I just love his clumbsiness! He's also been very focused on how to sit on things by backing up and sitting on them... such as the bottom step on our stairs, or little stools/chairs/etc. He'll back up and sit, and you can tell he's very proud of himself! Then he'll do it all over again. 

I'm sure he'll be walking before too long, but he still needs to learn his balance before then. I try not to take offense to little questions or comments from people about how he still isn't walking yet. I know he's going to do it before long, so I've stopped worrying and am trying not to let the comments get to me. We all go at our own pace. He's making progress, which is what is important.

Anyway, that's what's new with our sweet little guy! Can't wait to find out what 15 months will bring!