For those of you who don't know, the kindergarten cut off in our state is Aug. 31st. This means, Elizabeth missed the cut off by 5 days (yes, FIVE days... not even a full week), and won't be able to start kindergarten until the following year, 2013. This is a tad frustrating, since my daughter is such a little smartie, and will DEFINITELY be ready for kindergarten in 2012. While there are early-entrance exams she could take to get in early, it is still up to the discretion of the principal whether she would get to start early. And around here, that doesn't happen too often.
At any rate, little did I know that Elizabeth's preschool follows this same schedule.
When I first contacted the director regarding openings for the coming school year, I included Elizabeth's birth date, but inquired about the 2's class. I assumed that since she'd be two for all but one week of the school year, that would be the best place for her developmentally. Likewise, I didn't think the "cut off" date applied to private preschool programs. Which is why I didn't think twice about filling out all of the paperwork for the 2s class. Anyway, after putting Elizabeth's DOB on nearly every form, she somehow spent a week in the 2s class before the director caught the error. And the only reason she caught it was because I brought cookies to class for her 2nd birthday.
Needless to say, she is now in the 1s class. The director was pretty adamant about following the state cut off date, insisting the law applied to preschools as well. I feel HORRIBLE about the error. I know that part of it was my mistake! And I also feel frustrated that exceptions can't be made... it's PREschool after all!
Anyway, I've gone back and forth as to whether to keep her in the 1s class, or let her stay home another year. I really NEVER even considered preschool until Liam was born. We figured we'd wait until she was three or four. But since Liam arrived, our world has been turned upside down. For the better of course, but our schedule is VERY different now, and mommy has far less time for lots of enriching, educational activities... so I thought a few days of preschool each week would be great! And would give me some 1-on-1 time with Liam. When considering this particular preschool, I especially liked the 2s curriculum. It included a theme each quarter, and a focus on a different letter, shape, and color each week. It included the pledge and calendar skills. The 1s class, however, is just play.
While it is a lot of money to spend on just play with younger children (one of whom is still crawling), at the same time I realize that play is SO important... and I'm sure she will love getting out and getting extra attention from her teachers, even if it isn't the ideal situation. We could look at other preschools in the area. But this one is really one of the best, and all the other good ones have long wait lists. And while we could just keep her home another year, she really does seem to love it! Anyway, I suppose this frustration is something we had better get used to, since it doesn't look like the new cut off date will be changing any time soon.
It's funny. When I was a teacher, I used to HATE the "high-maintenance" parents. The one's who worried TOO much about little things, who complained TOO much, who sent TOO many emails, who wanted TOO many parent-teacher conferences, who wanted TOO much out of me... and in short, who were just a little TOO involved... !!! This was annoying as a teacher on many levels.
Now that I am a parent, however, I have now become one of those high-maintenance types. Overly concerned. Overly involved. Overly protective. All I have to say is.... my poor children! LOL!
Despite the snafu, I'm certain that our decision to keep her in the class is for the best, and that in the end it won't be the end of the world!
4 days ago











