March 02, 2009

March Mischief

Okay, so here is my first mommy-panic story...

Last Friday, Elizabeth and Wyatt both had poopie diapers to change at the same time (of course). After changing both babies, bagging both diapers, and taking them to the trash in the garage... the house still smelled like, well, poop.

I decided I'd run upstairs to grab a can of air-wick to spray the downstairs. We have a gate at the bottom of the stairs, which was locked, and I quickly hopped over and ran up to get the spray. I was gone no more than 2 minutes. When I came back down, Wyatt was right where I left him... busy playing with toys. Elizabeth, however, was no where in sight. I looked in the office, I looked in the bathroom, the shower, the dining room, behind the curtains, I looked everywhere. And at this point I was beginning to panic. I was calling for her, but no response. "Elizabeth, where are you?!" My heart was racing, and a million thoughts were running through my mind. So far, she hadn't learned to open doors, so I didn't "think" she could have gotten out... plus, I could tell that all the bolts on the doors were still bolted shut. She's gotta be here... but I was panic striken.

Finally, I decided to check the kitchen pantry. As I walked towards the door, I thought to myself, "surely she's not in the pantry." I mean, wouldn't she be screaming/banging on the door to get out? After all, I could tell that the light was off, so I couldn't imagine her going in there.

I was wrong.

As I opened the door, there she was.... standing in the dark pantry, with the door closed, holding an openned bar of bakers chocolate, with chocolate residue all over her hands and face, looking up at me, like, "Uh-oh, I've been caught!"

Needless to say, I was too panicked to get a pic. But looking back, I've gotta admit it was kinda funny. I guess we will be baby proofing the door knobs before too long. How silly is this child?!