Our time spent in Kansas was lots of fun! Not only did we have a great 1st birthday party for Elizabeth, but we also had a blast with family and friends.
As you probably guessed, Elizabeth thoroughly enjoyed all the love and attention that Nana provided. Along with all the hugs and kisses from grandmas, grandpas, uncles, aunts, cousins, and the like. She even learned how to blow kisses while in Kansas, a testament to all the kisses she received, no doubt. From aunt Maddie she learned to sing a song that goes something like, "BoBoBoBoBo!" and every time she'd see Maddie, out would come the song. And from her uncle Matt she learned how to peek around corners and say "boo!" along with making a really funny, surprised "Ohhh" face. And because Matt cracked up in hysterics the first time she made the face, every time she saw him afterward, out would come that silly look.
While in Kansas, we enjoyed a fun day at the Sedgwick County Zoo with grandma and grandpa Pauler and aunt Maddie. In all the places I've lived and all the places I've traveled, this zoo is hands down the coolest zoo around.
We also got to go to one of the coolest parks I've seen in a long time. It is completely handicap accessible... with wide ramps up going up to all the fun stuff. It was also really pretty to look at... the swings, ropes, bars, and other fun things all looked like modern sculptures! Super fun! Elizabeth had a blast crawling through tunnels and climbing UP the slide!
At great-grandparents Pauler... Elizabeth LOVED playing with a little red wagon, some metal coasters, and gr-grandma's coffee cup (go figure!). And at great-grandparents Hadsall, she enjoyed checking out grma Beas Precious Moments collection! Nana's house was stocked FULL of all kinds of books and toys... even a crib to sleep in! Every place we went was such great fun!
I was also happy that at least one night I was there I got to go out with some old friends.... the type of friends that even if you only see them once a year, its like you've never been away in the first place! Likewise, it was so nice to laugh and talk and gossip and laugh some more. And I'll never forget our mad dash through the parking lot in pouring rain, trying to find our cars, give our hugs and say goodbye, and laughing in hysterics all the way. I was drenched and freezing, but what fun! Thanks, gals...I needed that!
Oh... and I should also add that all FOUR flights went very smoothly! It was obviously answered prayer, and not just a coincidence, when we were seated next to: the sweetest teenage girl on earth... named ELIZABETH, the nicest retired school teacher, a kind and helpful businessman, and a grandma on her way to see her daughter who had just had a baby! On the way there Elizabeth even slept through one whole flight. On the way back, however, she fell fast asleep as soon as we landed, go figure!
Anyhoo... Kansas was a blast (albeit an adjustment at first), but we were happy to be home to see Daddy and Bella and to have our own space again! I keep telling Vassil we need to move back to Kansas... family is more important than a fat paycheck. Of course, I say this, but don't think I'd ever we willing to actually move back unless Vassil was 100% set on it as well! I just couldn't do that to him. So I guess we'll see. Kansas might not have all the frills and fun things as other parts of the world... no mountains, no beaches... but as Dorothy puts it, "There's no place like home!"
4 days ago











