With the help of the "Baby Signs" class, mommy and daddy's ASL vocabulary has also greatly expanded, and between the two of us, we probably know close to a hundred signs (Vassil's favorite of course being poop and fart). And throughout the day we use signs like "where," "want," "cracker," "more," "bath," "book," "play," "dog," "all done," "bird," etc. as we explain to Elizabeth the amazing world around her!
Each day Vassil and I are equally amazed at realizing just how much she understands of spoken English, but just can't yet express back to us verbally. When reading a book, you can ask her where is the dog (using signs to go along), and she will point right to the dog and say "dare" (for there). We of course cheer like crazy, then ask her to find the ball, or the duck, or the umbrella... she finds each one nearly every time. My guess is as she learns more signs, we will gain even more insight into the inner workings of that little brain of hers! How awesome!
My only regret is that I didn't pay closer attention to the signs classes I took when I was a little girl at Central, as my ASL vocabulary would have already been in place. Back then they taught us kids all sorts of signs on Wednesday nights, which having not applied them in near 20 years, I'd totally forgotten. Where are the Parnell girls when I need them?! :)
Anyway, the class we took definitely encouraged me to keep signing with Elizabeth. And even though she is starting to actually say words (although probably only her parents understand), there are SO many benefits to signing, that I'm hoping we will continue to use signs in the years to come. And I've been so surprised, and proud, that Vassil has really gotten into it--and signs all the time to Elizabeth as well!
At any rate, this picture is from our last class... those in the front row are signing "Cheese!" And if you look closely you will see that Elizabeth is making her own silly sign.
P.S. Thanks Caleb for making copies of "Signing Time" for all of us! We can't wait to watch and learn even more!











