March 11, 2011

The Darndest Things

My kids are always saying funny things, which I try my best to record here on the blog.  Lately, along w/funny sayings, Elizabeth has also been cracking me up with her new-found use of air-quotes, which she will use at random (such as: "Mommy can I have a.... 'cookie' please") It's hilarious and I keep hoping I can catch it on camera.
She's also started this thing where whenever she gets in trouble or I reprimand her or put her in timeout, I'll then go over to talk to her about why she was in trouble and ask her to say sorry. Anyway, after she apologizes she usually gives me the saddest look (tears and all) and will say, "Mommy, can you smile at me?" I hate this line. It makes me feel like I'm being too hard on her or like she feels like I never smile at her. I usually just say, "Of course I will smile now that we are all done with time out." The other thing she's been doing after timeout is telling ME that I need to apologize to HER for being mean and for putting her in timeout. Oh my. She is so ornery and so dramatic and always keeping me on my toes that's for sure!

Anyway, here are some other things we've heard lately that make me smile:
...     ...     ...

"Mommy, before dinner let's say the 'The Pledge of Allegiance' prayer. Did you know, that's the President's prayer?"
...     ...     ...
"Mommy, when people do bad things that means they are very far from God."

...     ...     ...
"Whatever..." (said all the time these days)

...     ...     ...
Coming downstairs from her nap one day, "Mommy, I want to give one of my toys to someone who doesn't have any toys. My barbie is old. I want to give it to a kid who doesn't have one"

...     ...     ...

"God made Liam sick and whiny."

...     ...     ...
E: "Mom, do you remember Caroline?"
Me: "Yes, of course honey."
E: "Did you know she's my best friend?"
Me: "I didn't know that honey! That's great!"
E: "Do you think I can go to her house and have a playdate?"
Me: "Well, we'll see. I bet we'll see her soon."
E: "Well, I want to go to her house, and I want you to leave."
Me: "You want me to leave?"
E: "Yeah, you can leave me there and then pick me up in the morning."
Lol--only 3 and already ready for slumber parties and for mom to leave (ouch!)

...     ...     ...
Elizabeth also loves to make up crazy words. I'm bad at remembering how she says them. But, for example, when we are playing "Veterinarian" she'll make up some sort of surgery procedure, and give it a silly name. "Mommy! Clarice needs a damectomy!" And we'll rush off to give her a "damectomy!" lol. One day it was funny because Clarice needed surgery and when I ask what kind of surgery, she explained she needed to have her lungs removed. Lol! Where does she get this stuff?
And this one was my favorite. As you know, my girl loves to scribble. I know I shouldn't discourage it, and that in time she'll learn to draw more realistic figures. So I know I probably should only say encouraging things. But every once in awhile, I think the artist in me gets a little frustrated. I might "suggest" that she go slower or to draw more realistic-looking things or stay in the lines. I probably shouldn't do that. I know. Anyway, one day she'd been busy painting all sorts of colors and squiggles on a piece of paper. Here was the conversation that followed:
E: "Look at my picture mommy! It's for you!"
Me: "Honey, that's beautiful! I love it! I like all the colors you chose. I think blue is my favorite! And I like that you used so MANY colors and filled in the whole page! You have been working so hard on it! I love it"
E: "Mmm-Hmm!"
Me: "Do you think we can paint another picture and this time instead of scribbles we can draw a picture of something. What would you like to paint this time?"
E: "But this is something mommy."
Me: "Oh, you're right! Can you tell me what it is?"
E: "It's the Northern Lights." 

My jaw dropped! I guess she put me in my place--lol! Since that time, she's also been claiming her "scribbles" are planets and galaxies.  Makes me smile.
Of course, Liam is full of funny things as well! I can't wait until he's a little older and is talking a little more so I can know what sort of silly things he's thinking about. Where Elizabeth's language development seemed to just explode around 15 months, his has just been slow and steady progress. He is saying small sentences these days.  Lately, what melts my heart, is he's been saying "Mommy, what's this?" to all sorts of things (the dog's collar, my necklace, etc.) And instead of "Hold me" (or as Elizabeth used to say it at his age: "Hold you") he will say, "Uppy! Uppy!" I love that. He's also just such an obedient little guy. Even though he does have his fair share of tantrums, if I ask him to do x,y,z, he will usually say, "Ohhh-taaay" and he'll do it. So, so sweet. Albeit, totally fussy lately, what with the cold and the teeth coming in. Sigh.

Anyway, just to be fair, here's the painting he made that same day. Sweet like him.
I think that's all for now. Until next time...