June 19, 2010

Smile :)

The other day, Liam, Elizabeth, and I dropped off the donations from Liam's party at Rainbow's Kids Cove, Camp Woodchuck--a daycamp for older children with special needs. That's me holding Liam; it's hard to see Elizabeth in the picture, but she's being held by the director of the program, and holding a green ball.

At any rate, the campers and staff were so excited, they asked to get a picture for their newsletter--and this is it! I just love it! Love those smiles! And love the tradition of donating gifts in place of birthday presents. In total we had about 3 trash bags full of balls and other equipment, and we are so thankful to our family and friends who donated so generously.

I've gotta say, I just love this tradition--and I think this year was extra special since we got to meet the kiddos for whom it would benefit (unlike the previous two years where we simply dropped off our donations). And it was such a great feeling!

I also love this tradition for what it gives us. Most American children are so spoiled and have so much (mine included), that another pile of presents just seems ridiculous... excessive even.  Maybe it's just me, but I feel like my kids get so much when they go without; and I'm confident that as my children get older, that this tradition will give our family so much more than any pile of presents ever will. In fact, it already has.

Don't believe me?! I challenge anyone reading this to do the same and see for yourself! I guarantee it will make your heart smile :)