April 10, 2010

Potty Time!

Yep, it's what you think...
 

All last week, we have been working on Potty Training!

And as you can see from her potty chart... she is doing GREAT!

In case you are wondering, I decided to wait for Elizabeth to show me she was ready to be potty trained before we started. She showed some signs right before Liam was born, but as soon as I tried, she decided she wanted nothing to do with potty training... so I let it go, and decided we'd try again later after she'd had time to adjust to baby brother. I'd read the more you push, the more they resist. So I've tried to just be patient and wait for her to show more signs that she's ready.

In the meantime, we watched LOTS and LOTS of DVDs on Potty Training. Her favorite is called "Go Potty Go!" and features two animated characters, Paige and Parker Panda. It is PRECIOUS! And believe it or not, Liam ADORES the video! He just lights up every time the Pandas appear! Even I get into the catchy songs!

Anyway, for the past few months, Elizabeth sings (at the top of her lungs) the lyrics to this DVD. "Babies wear diapers, and that's okay... but now I'm a big kid, do things a big kid way..." Which I find so funny, since up until this point she hasn't been potty trained. She also likes to tell Liam how he needs to be a big boy and use the potty chair, again funny coming from her unpotty trained lips.

Well, preschool was on spring break this week, and with the warmer weather, I decided we'd go for it again. I figured she'd fight me on it and resist, like last time, so I didn't go into it with really any sort of expectations.

 Well, I'm happy to report, that after 1 week of working on it... we now only have ONE child in diapers!!! Woo-Hoo!!! Elizabeth, from the start, did GREAT all day long... telling me when she needed to use the bathroom (both 1 and 2) and having NO accidents during the day. This includes several trips to Target and the grocery store, along with having no accidents today at church! She did have an accident the first few naps, but ever since even naps have been dry! The first day whenever she felt the urge, she would beg for her diaper... telling me it hurt. I decided to cut a hole in the diaper and sit her on the potty. Once she realized it was okay to potty on the chair, she didn't need the hole-in-the-diaper trick. The first day I also enticed her with a bowl of marshmellows when she sat down on the potty (probably not the most healthy, or sanitary, idea--but hey, it worked) And as you can see from the pic above (taken after just a few days--you should SEE it now!), she got to put stickers on her Princess Potty Chart (1 sticker for #1, 2 stickers for #2) Princess Tiana is her favorite--so she really got into the chart! Anyway, we are still doing a pull up at night... and I realize we still have a long way to go (and most likely many accidents) before this becomes habit but, still, I'm SO excited!

In fact, I'm so excited, I'm going to sing the words to my favorite song!!! Sing along!!! And pray that we have no set backs, but are on the road to potty-training success!!!

GO Potty GO Potty GO Potty GO!
GO Potty GO Potty GO Potty GO!
There's a feeling in your tummy and it's time you know to
GO! GO Potty GO!
Let's say good bye to Diapers, use a potty chair you know
and GO! GO potty Go!

I'm hoping that by posting this I didn't just jinx myself!