April 09, 2010

The Darndest Things...

Elizabeth says the darndest things! The things she says can make me laugh till my side hurts! The things she says can make my jaw drop and leave me speechless! The things she says can make me turn to complete mush!

Anyway, here are some things she has said lately that have either made me laugh, left me in awe, or brought tears to my eyes. I figured I better record them before I forget:

On Dinosaurs

"If you see a T-Rex on the road--Stop! Go get a grown up!"

(I busted a gut on that one... it came out of no where and she said it with such seriousness and with hand gestures and everything! I couldn't help but laugh for days)


Reading a book about dinosuars:

Me: Look at the brontosaurus
E: [with a look of total disgust] Mama, that's called a "Braciasaurus!"
Me: Oh, okay. You're right. [pause] Oh, look up here. This dinosaur looks like a big bird!
E: [same look of disgust] Mama, that's called a "Pteranodon!"

Who knew? Lol!

Mommy's Earrings

One night I was getting dressed for a MNO. I don't get out of the house much, and even though we weren't going any place fancy, I decided I'd put on a pair of earrings. The earrings were long, and made up of three circles, one on top of the other, like a long chain. When I came downstairs after getting ready, both my kiddos were very fascinated with them, especially since I hardly ever wear earrings. Anyway, Elizabeth climbed up in my lap, and was playing with them. Here was our conversation:

E: Are you wearing earrings mommy?
Me: Yup! Do you like them?
E: Yes, they're pretty
Me: What color are they?
E: Blue
Me: That's right! What shapes are they?
E: Circles [continuing to play with the earrings] Vertibrae! They look like Vertibrae, mommy!
Me: [completely floored] You're right, they do look like vertebrae. What's vertebrae?
E: The bones in your back [pulling up her shirt and pointing to her vertebrae]

I couldn't believe it, because A) The earrings DID look a lot like vertabrae, and B) I couldn't believe she knew that word!

Later I remembered we checked out a Cat-in-the-Hat book from the library about a month ago, called "Inside my Outside" which is where she must have remembered that word from. Still, I was in shock that she made the connection to my earrings! Lol!

Needing Jesus
So the weeks leading up to Easter we read the same children's Easter book after dinner (in conjunction with our "resurrection eggs" which I blogged about on my Easter post). But we also read a different Easter book before going to bed. This one, which I highly recommend! Anyway, one night after reading the book, I tucked her into her crib. Her favorite blankie needed a wash, and so she was rather upset that it was gone. "How about another blankie?" I suggested. But no, nothing would do, except for her polkadot blankie. After giving her a few blankies, and explaining that her favorite one was dirty and we couldn't have it tonight, she then asked if she could sleep with a book. I usually don't put toys or books in her crib with her, because she's then up all night reading or playing, rather than going to sleep. But without her favorite blankie, I decided one night wouldn't hurt. I asked her which one. "I want the Jesus book." To which I reply, "Honey, the Jesus book has paper pages that might get torn in the night. And since it is special and I don't want it to get torn, how about this book?" I said holding up a board book. But no, that book wouldn't do. With tears in her voice, she persists, "I want the Jesus book." I continue, "Honey, I really don't want it to get..." before I can finish, she's in tears, "I want Jesus, I want Jesus." Of course, when she put it like that, I couldn't resist. I handed her the book, left the room, and couldn't believe what I'd just heard! My little girl was desperate for Jesus. I wondered how long (if ever) it had been that I couldn't go to sleep without my Bible near my side. Had I ever cried for my Jesus book? To have it near me while I slept? How long had it been since I cried out for him, like she had. Truly, it is as they say.... "out of the mouth of babes!"