July 01, 2009

Becoming a Big Sister

Since bringing home Liam from the hospital, Elizabeth has been a very excited, energetic Big Sister. And while I'm sure we're still in the "honeymoon" phase, I'm so happy to report that so far, Elizabeth just loves her baby brother, Liam.

In this photo is none other than the Big Sister herself, sportin' her one of a kind Big Sister tee, which was designed and handmade by Nana and Aunt Maddie... a gift for the Big Sister, which she wore to see her baby brother for the first time in the hospital!

At any rate, I'm also happy to report that when Elizabeth isn't busy playing with toys or getting into some sort of mischief (which is rare), she wants to interact with baby Liam. This typically means climbing up on my lap, or giving him a big, wet kiss. We are still working on the concept of "gentle." While she understands it in theory, she has yet to apply it in practice. Which is evident every time I put Liam down on his playmat, and she comes running full speed toward him, screaming "Baaaaby Liiiiam!" As you may have guessed, an energetic big sister makes for a very exhausted mama!

Anyway, here are some pics of the new Big Sister with her Little Brother -- I hope you enjoy!

Above: I just LOVE this picture!!! It pretty much encapsulates what Elizabeth is like around her brother! She loves to get CLOSE to him... she cuddles, kisses, and grabs his hands, feet, toes, you name it! And would ya look at the little smile on his face! I can't wait to watch the bond between them grow and strengthen in the years ahead!!! I just LOVE this pic!!!
Above: Elizabeth holding her baby brother... look how sweet they are together!!! She often says the sweetest things to him, things that she's heard me say, like "Look at you, baby! Look at you!" or "I know, I know, I know!" when he's crying.
Above: Big Sister and Little Brother! How cute are they?!?! So far, Elizabeth hasn't asked to hold Liam much... but sometimes for a treat we let her (for a very brief time of course). We also ask Elizabeth to "help" us by getting diapers, wipes, and blankets for him. So far, she not only loves being a Big Sister... but a Big Helper, as well!!!


Above: Elizabeth cuddled up with Mama and Baby Liam. She loves to climb up onto my lap whenever I'm holding or nursing him. She will grab his feet or hands, and say the sweetest things to him.

Above: Elizabeth's baby Liam---In case you're wondering, in the hospital we had a few little gifts for Elizabeth to open, on account of being a big sister and all. One was a small doll. Despite the fact that the doll is dressed in pink, Elizabeth has named her (or him) Baby Liam. She's grown quite attached to the doll, asking for him for naps and at bedtime.
Of course, along with being an overall good big sister... there have been moments of frustration--as in, the times when she wants me to play, and I'm nursing, and she'll tell me: "Put baby down!" or the one time when she (playfully) told Liam: "1,2,3, That's timeout Liam!" Similarly, have been moments of quasi-regression (mainly she's just being silly), where she climbs aboard the infant carrier, pops a paci in her mouth, or decides she wants tummy-time. In fact, the funniest thing is when I enter the play room and find several of her dolls on their tummies on Liam's playmat... I just can't help but laugh!

To keep our princess busy and entertained (i.e. less frustrated when mama can't always jump up and attend to her), Nana left her royal heiness with quite the arsenal of books and toys... and of course a tiara, to keep her entertained. So far, so good!



Elizabeth is really a very sweet little girl, and I know she is and will continue to be a wonderful daughter, and now sister to her baby brother, Liam!!!!