July 11, 2009

From First Coos... to First Do's

Well, I somehow survived my first week alone with Liam and Elizabeth. It was exhausting, but definitely manageable. Getting me through was the amazing generosity of neighbors and church family, who brought us HUGE meals almost every night this week, which was an ENORMOUS help and GREATLY appreciated!!! As you can imagine, we didn't get out much this week... but we did manage to reach a few new milestones: Liam's first coos, and Elizabeth's first do (as in haircut). Anyway, here are some pics to recap our week! Enjoy!

First Coos

As mentioned, Liam started cooing this week. So far, it has only been a few little coos, and he's only done it a few days since. But it was the sweetest sound and I can't wait to hear more from my sweet little man! In the pic above is the cutest onesie from Auntie Gheri and Uncle Howard in England... I got such a kick out of the "Mummy" part!As evidenced in the photo above, Liam continues to sleep and sleep. It's amazing what positions and contortions newborns can sleep in--which should also be evidenced from this pic--lol. Anyway, during the day he will stay pretty alert in the morning and early evening, but will sleep pretty much all afternoon. At night, he's been sleeping about 4-5 hours the first stretch, then waking every 2-3 after that. Not bad.
The only problem so far is the fact that he's been REALLY gassey, so after he wakes up the first time in the night (usually around 2am) he then grunts the remainder of the night. Mind you, he is fast asleep, but really REALLY grunting. And I'm talking like a jack-hammer! As a result, I have a hard time sleeping, and I usually wake up with a horrible headache! During the day, he will grunt quite a bit, too, and will often scruntch up his body in pain and let out the most blood-curdling cry. I'm crossing my fingers this doesn't develop into colic, and I'm saying prayers that the gas pains go away very soon!

So far the best remedy for his gassy tummy has been some tummy-time! Something about that position really helps!
And of course, Elizabeth LOVES to help her brother with tummy time! She loves to "teach" him about all the different animals on his mat. "Liam, do you see this? It's a giraffe, Liam. Yeah!" It's precious. Then of course, when Liam is finished with tummy-time, she has to have a bit of tummy-time herself. It's funny!
And would you check out those little tootsies?!?! Just how precious are those wrinkled little feet?!?!?


First Do's

As previously mentioned, this week Elizabeth also reached a big milestone... her very first haircut ever!!!
If you've been following the blog, then you know how E.'s hair has been growing fast in the back, but not so fast in the front... creating quite the little mullet. I kept hoping that in time the front would catch up, but alas, it is still very slow to grow in; as a result, it was time to bid farewell to the mullet, and for Elizabeth to get her very first cut.

In the future I plan on cutting it myself. But for the first, ever haircut, I figured I'd splurge a little and take her to one of those cute childrens' hair salons. It was very cute, and not as expensive as you might think.
Elizabeth did great. She got to sit in a boat and watch an episode of Dora, while she got sniped away. She was so entranced by Dora, I'm not even sure she realized she was getting a haircut. PEEK-A-DO!

Daddy and Elizabeth have been spending LOTS of time together in the evenings. I'm usually too exhausted in the evening to pack up both kids for a trip to the park, but Vassil will take Elizabeth most nights. Here they are (below) playing frisbee
And here's Elizabeth atop a big hill at the park... she loves to run to the very top and run back down again. It's funny how a big hill trumps fancy playground equipment almost every time!
In the pic below is "Maya" a girl we've run into at the park twice now. Funny story... one day Elizabeth wakes up from a nap, and through the monitor can be heard calling for "Maya." My mom was still here at the time, and she thought my dear daughter had gone quite nuts. Who's Maya? But there she was just a hollering through the monitor, "Maya, where are you?! MAYA! MAYA! Maya... where are you?!"
Then it hit me... it was the girl we met at the park about two weeks before. Ironically enough, we ran into her at the park again. And like the first time, the two were inseparable... isn't it amazing how easy kids make friends?! I often wish it were that easy with adults!
Anyway, playing at the park (with daddy most nights) has been lots of fun! Elizabeth goes all over the jungle-gym these days... even to the tall slides. As you can see, static electricity generated from going down the slide is none too kind on Elizabeth's hair... yet another reason we felt it was time for a trim! Lol!
Finally, I've been meaning to write about our little deer friends... the coolest thing happened on the day we came home from the hospital--we were looking out the window, when we saw this mother deer with her baby. The baby was half the size he is now (in the picture) and was still really wobbly! It was SO sweet and almost symbolic, especially since we had just come home with OUR baby!
Of course, we were in so much awe that none of us grabbed the camera. Since that time, I've seen the pair a number of times, and recently caught these pics. The fawn has grown so much since then... then again, I suppose Liam has, as well! Oy vey! I'm not sure where the time has gone, or is going... but life really seems to be going by fast! Anyway, those are our pics for this week... here's to another!