November 14, 2008

Elizabeth's Vocabulary

Elizabeth's vocabulary is very strange to me. She still can't say easy words, like "no" (uses the Bulgarian "Ne" instead), but can say complicated words like scissors clear as day. And where most kids learn to say words like ball and bird... Elizabeth prefers words like tickle, deer, and Elmo. Also interesting is that she tries hard to say words like octopus and tracker (although is still comes out Octs and Trats), but she won't even attempt to say easy words like cat no matter how many times I prompt her. Strange!

I often stress about her language development, although I'm sure she's fine. The baby book says at this age toddlers should be able to say 3 words, but might be able to say 20, and might possibly be able to say 50 or more. I think Elizabeth is somewhere in the middle on this one, and is just developing at her own pace.

Anyway... here's what Elizabeth has to say at 14 months! Too cute!

Words we hear daily:
Mama/Dada, Hi/Bye, Car, Deer, Mo or Ma (more), Up/Dow (down), Allllll-Duh (all done), Juice, buh (book), Uh-Oh, Wee, Dare (there), O'Dare (Over there), Ball, Da (Bulgarian for yeah), Ne Ne Ne (Bulgarian for No, No, No), Aide (Bulgarian for Come on!), O Where O Where O Where, Elm or Elm--O, Tickle-Tickle, & hhhhhhot

Words (or almost-words) we hear frequently, but not everyday

Cheese, Rssns, Jssus, Kiss, Stairs, Scissors, Kids, Hat, Pts (pants), Bats, Mil (milk), Baa'l (bottle), Moo (moon), Cess (Princess), Eye, Boo, Off, Peas (please), Octa (octopus), apple, appabet (alphabet), circ (circle), oval, A/B/C/D/E/Etc.

Made Up Words:

Ningee-Ningee (Ladybug), Diggee-Diggee (DVD), Ticka-Ticka (Cracker), Umma-Umma-Umma (Pumpkin), Sass (I have NO idea)

Sounds:
Buzz, Moo, Baa, Maa, Roar, Ooh-Ooh (monkey), Beeeew (elephant), Quack, etc.

Each week we seem to acquire one or two new words... so I can't wait to update the list! Until then, we sure do enjoy the words she can say... and the jibber-jabber, too!