Since turning 18, I can count the number of times I actually voted on one hand. And when looking back, there's really only one time when I cast my ballot that I actually felt my vote mattered -- coincidentally the first time I voted (a bond issue that would pay for air-conditioning and other upgrades in Wichita schools). Since that time, I never really felt my vote mattered. They're all the same, I thought. All dirty politicians. Does it really matter? Which is why too often I just didn't care to go to the polls. This time, however, was different. And I think for people across the country, no matter who they supported, it actually felt like this vote would make a difference.
Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that both candidates were not the typical "politician" types, admired and respected for their character and ability to stand up for what is right. John McCain, the "maverick" of Washington, reaching across the aisle much more than Obama ever did. Serving his country, not just in Washington, but as a POW, even refusing to leave when he had the chance. A man who earned my deepest respect long before he was ever a forerunner for president. His story of the pledge, a staple I had my students read each year.
Despite my admiration for McCain, I made the decision to cast my vote for Obama. Like McCain, I also have great respect for Obama's character, and found his story and his upbringing (similar to my own in many ways) to be uplifting, and a true piece of the American dream. Likewise, his call for issues such as early education, healthcare to all citizens, for jobs, for schools, and other programs at home, while ending the conflict in Iraq, these issues and more had my mind made up.
Vassil and I voted early. This election was also special as it was the first time Vassil could actually vote, having only recently become a citizen himself. I took a picture of him (which if my camera ever works, I'll add to the blog) next to the ballot booth, holding Elizabeth, an "I Voted" sticker affixed to his chest with pride. And last night, despite having to get up early and work two jobs, he stayed up late to see the outcome. Yes, this time it did feel like it mattered... to all of us.
Despite the hype over Barack Obama as this beacon of change, will things really be different this time? Will things really change for the better? Will he really shake up Washington and make a difference? While I hope so, my guess is probably not as much as we all would like. After all, he's human. He won't be perfect. And I'm sure the decisions he makes will be much debated and questioned by people all over this country, including myself. No, he won't be perfect, and things probably won't be all that drastically different.
But even still, life has already changed.
And for the first time in our history we can now TRULY say that our nation is indeed one where truly ANYONE (no matter what skin color, age, or gender) has a fair chance. That America really is a place where if you work hard enough, despite your background, you can achieve extraordinary things!
I can't help but tear up just imagining what it must feel like for African Americans on this day in history. In fact, when the official announcement came in, I think I did tear up a bit, "Lift Every Voice and Sing!" ringing through my ears.
It's amazing that I got to experience something like this in my lifetime, and even more amazing that my daughter will grow up in a society not really knowing anything other than. I feel so proud to be an American. And I have hope that the next four years will be for the better! Will they be? Who knows.
But at least I can hope.











