April 12, 2008

Settling In

As you probably guessed, we are still in the process of settling in here at the new house. Although there are boxes everywhere, we are slowly but surely getting unpacked. I would post pictures, but seeing how the camera is packed away somewhere, that will have to come later.

Elizabeth is adjusting fine to the new place. In fact, she seems to thrive on all the clutter. A box of DVDs in our bonus room can keep her entertained for hours. And when the DVDs are all put away, empty boxes are just as fun as well! And chewing on boxes (when mom and dad aren't looking) is Elizabeth's new favorite past time and talent. In fact, it's rare that I leave the grocery store without a corner of a box of crackers being nibbled on. And at home, if I turn around for a second she is usually trying (successfully at times) to take a bite out of the corner of a box.

Speaking of chewing, Elizabeth is now feeding herself (still with only her bottom two teeth) crackers and Gerber puffs. This is a big accomplishment since for the last month or so she would only pick up her puffs and crackers, look at them, and then drop them on the floor. I didn't really blame her... have any of you tried the Gerber puffs? They remind me of those cardboard rice-cakes. Hmmmm... maybe that's where she picked up her affinity for boxes.

As for the rest of us.... Bella's adjustment has been rough, but she is slowly but surely getting more comfortable. Vassil, on the other hand, is LOVIN' the new place. Every day he comes home from work and is like "I LOVE this place!" I have to admit that I'm not much of a "country" gal. In fact, yesterday I experienced a bit of a meltdown when I got my very first (like in my whole life) tick. I even called Vassil at work in tears to come home and pull it out (yes, ever since my third grade girl scout lesson on the dangers of ticks, I've had a weird phobia of them). But aside from the tick, I'm happy as well. Mainly, I'm happy because my husband is happy. Our old home seemed to be sucking the life out of Vassil. Not so much the home, but the area in general. So now that he is happy and more at peace, I also feel a great sense of relief and am glad that we made the decision to move! It will take some getting used to on my part, I suppose, but in the end I know it is for the best!