September 10, 2007

We Could Not Ask for More!

So much has happened in the past few days, let me recap:

On Saturday, Elizabeth and family came home from the hospital and found life at home to be less stressful than anticipated. Coming home was especially easy considering how much she's slept since. In fact, unlike our time in the hospital, which was spent with some crying and fussing, now that we are home, Elizabeth hasn't done much but eat and sleep. In fact, she wants to sleep so much, we often have to wake her when it's time to eat. And when she does cry is is the sweetest little high-pitched "chirp." Thus, her nickname from time to time has been: Little Chirper, McChirps-a-lot, Chicky-poo, etc.


On Sunday, our family welcomed back our fur baby, Bella, from her stay with friends. She was and continues to act very shy and sheepish. Her manners seem to have greatly improved, and when told a command she does it the first time, rather than the 10th, which was typical Bella before baby. We remain careful with her, though, and only let her in the house when we are both around to supervise. Jealousy can be a powerful instinct, as is true with animals as well. So far, though, so good. On Sunday we also took our first walk in the neighborhood with the stroller. Although we only made it down the block and back, I'm sure the walking was good for both mommy and baby.


Today Elizabeth had her first check up at the doctor's office. The doctor was very, very happy. When she left the hospital, she went from 9.1 lbs to 8.5. However, when she was weighed today, she was already back up to 8.9 and it sounds like it won't be long before she is back to her birth weight. We also spoke to the doctor about her new sleep patterns. According to doctor, she's just in a "milk comma" due to a full tummy plus a lot of feel-good hormones. Likewise, the fact that she is gaining weight seems to indicate that she is getting enough and is content to sleep the rest of the time. Rather than worry, the doctor has ordered us to be thankful. It's hard, though, not to worry when you are a parent.

After the trip to the doctor's office, Elizabeth also had her first trip to Target. We had to run in for just a few quick items, and for once, she was wide-eyed and in a quiet-alert state. She didn't fuss or cry and did very well for her first shopping experience... I'm guessing I have a fellow shopping buddy on my hands :)


As for me, I am very sore and swollen. It seems things might have to get worse before they get better. All I know is that I will be happy when I can get out of bed without help and without pain. It will be so much easier to take care of Elizabeth, when I'm not hurting all over. Hopefully it won't be long until I'm feeling back to my old self. But keep me, and baby, in your prayers all the same.

In closing, Vassil and I are overwhelmed with exhaustion, but also continue to be overwhelmed with her little coos, gas-smiles, and overall beauty.

We could not ask for more!

Proud Parents,
Vassil & Jennifer