April 12, 2012

Easter 2012

 I hope everyone had a "Hippity Hoppity Easter!" I know we sure did.
 Although, gotta say... it was definitely a little bit of a lonesome Easter this year. With Vassil being gone for the month for work (back to Ireland for his project), it was just us (me and the kids) this year. I think this was my first holiday where we were kinda alone. It was definitely a weird feeling.
But, we made the best of it! The kids, of course, don't know what it's like to have big family potlucks... so I guess they didn't really even know they were missing out. AND... who can be sad when there's eggs to find and candy to eat?! So it was a good one, even if it was a little hard on me.
Anyway, the day before Easter, our dog was going ballistic out in the backyard. I thought she'd found a mole (she finds those occasionally), so I left her out for a few minutes longer before I finally decided to go out and call her in. When I did, I realized it wasn't a mole... but BUNNIES! 
This little guy I almost stepped on. He must have been frozen in fear... and I thought maybe the dog had accidentally got him. I told Elizabeth to bring me a box and when she did, I put him in... only to realize he was totally fine! 
Oh my goodness, he was SO cute! But I was worried about us getting too much of our "scent" on him. So I made sure the kids didn't touch him with their hands, and we only checked him out for a few minutes. He was just too cute!
So, sooooooo sweet!
This was definitely an exciting find the day BEFORE Easter. Elizabeth was certain they were the Easter Bunny's Bunnies. And she went on to explain that she heard a few thuds in the night coming from the backyard... that kind of sounded like hopping. Hmmmm...
Doesn't get much cuter than bunnies!!!
Liam wanted a turn, so I quickly moved the bunny to his lap. I figured the little guy would immediately try to dart/hop away. But nope. They must be pretty little still, because they aren't very fast, and seem to just freeze up when they get scared--not good in a backyard with a dog!
Liam kept him on his lap for just a minute. SO cute! And actually, this was Liam's 2nd experience with bunnies this year as his preschool teacher has two pet bunnies that she brought in to show the class.
After a minute or two, I put the bunny back in the box and then took him over to where I found him, and where Bella had found the others. 
THEN... it was time for our Egg Hunt! 
I made these little outfits with my new sewing machine. I thought they'd be cute for the Easter Egg Hunt. I really wanted to do pink and blue fabric, but when I was at the fabric store, I couldn't really find what I was looking for... so being tired of looking, and not really wanting to leave without something, I decided on the green. It wasn't until they were done, that I realized they looked a little like the Vonn Trapp family--lol. "The Hills are alive..." lol!
 Liam's shirt was a little big. And he didn't love it. He hates ties... even shirts with a tie applique. Lol! Somehow I convinced him... but he ended up covering it up with another obsession of his lately... his "Ireland jacket." He just loves that thing, even if it's like 3 sizes too small. 
Liam had been throwing up the night before, but it was more of a cough/mucus and he seemed okay all morning, so I decided we'd go, and I'd just keep him close to me so as not to spread germs. 
We couldn't miss out on the egg hunt after all!
Elizabeth's loot!
Such a fun time, and before the hunt the children all watched a little video to remind them of the reason why we celebrate.
Let's see... this is a bit out of order, I think it was Good Friday when we decided to dye eggs.
Liam didn't want to take off his dragon costume that he'd been wearing all day, even though I really wanted him to (not just because I was worried it might get ruined, but also because I thought how funny it would be to look back in 20 years time and see him dying his eggs in a dragon costume--lol). BUT, I also didn't want to fight him on it. Later when we needed to go to the grocery store, and I DID have to fight him on it. He threw the BIGGEST fit because he didn't want to take it off. Sigh. I honestly thought he'd be easier at this stage because he's much more a calm/laid back little guy... but like his big sissy, he can throw down some wild temper tantrums. 
I try to remind myself that he's 2 and this is normal. Sadly, I've heard many moms say 3 is worse than 2. The Terrible Twos, and the Trying Threes. With Elizabeth 3 was WAY better and 4 better yet... but I fear Liam's fits are really just rearing up. Ugh... another year of this?! Really?! 
Anyway, back to Easter. Here was our finished product. This was pretty much all their own work! Cute, eh!
 Anyway... on Easter morning, the kids actually slept in... close to 8 am. When they were up, we headed downstairs to check out their loot. And then Elizabeth headed out back to hunt eggs. It was too chilly for Liam... he was content to play with some of the goodies in his basket and didn't want to go hunt eggs.
 Anyway, after looking through our baskets, and having resurrection rolls for breakfast... I took the kids out back to take some pics in their church outfits. 
 It was around this time that things started to go down hill...  I discovered Bella with a bunny (clearly dead). She had him in her paws and was licking the blood :( It was also around this time I realized we were late for church. I was a mess. I do NOT like being late... and seeing the bunny dead at the hands of our dog... the dog I should have been watching carefully but I was too preoccupied taking pics of the kids... well, lets just say I was a mess. I kept thinking how this bunny was dead because of me. I tried not to let the kids know. I got a shovel and put him over the fence into the woods. I told the kids he'd be okay and his mommy would come help him :( But I'm sure they saw my tears. When we came home from church we discovered a 2nd bunny. More tears :( 
 Since I didn't feel like making a big meal for my picky eaters, we decided to have lunch at the Golden Coral. It was nice to get out and enjoy a "potluck" style meal. But it made me even more homesick. The good thing, though, was when we came home we found one bunny still alive. And there might be more... but we know for sure that one is still alive. I was SO happy!
 Anyway, that was pretty much our Easter. 
Not exactly what I'd pictured... dead bunnies especially. But late that afternoon as I was lying in bed trying to get in a little nap... I could hear Elizabeth playing quietly in her room. She was using her "teacher voice" and telling all her little stuffed animals about Jesus. It was then I knew that all those things I was feeling down about seem so trivial when I remind myself that Christ has overcome the world. That old devil can just go "sit on a tack!"
Anyway... Happy Easter Everyone!
 He is Risen!