February 03, 2012

Groundhog Day

What a day!

An exciting day. An exhausting day. A day filled with a few firsts. And a day that makes me so thankful for my full time job. Being a mom is so much fun, and days like today remind me of that!
To begin our day, we headed over to the dentist for Elizabeth's biannual cleaning. Even though this was her 2nd time to the dentist, last time they didn't do the cleaning/polishing part because they wanted her to have a positive experience and kind of ease her into it. So this was the first time she got a "real" cleaning.
She did SO great! As soon as she sat in the chair, she opened her mouth WIDE! She was READY! As the hygienist was setting everything up, she finally told her she could close her mouth until she was ready--lol. It was amazing how shy, quiet, and cooperative she was! Such a big, good girl! I was proud.
I LOVE our dentist. Although, at first, Liam wasn't too sure--lol! Check out that look--lol! But everyone there is super friendly, and I've been amazed with how well they do with little ones. They even went out of their way to get a little chair for Liam, so he could sit and watch. They thought it would be good preparation for one day when he had to get his teeth cleaned if he could sit an watch.
The other great thing about this dentist, is that above the light is a TV. Elizabeth remembered from last time that they had Shrek, so she requested to watch it again. It was so funny... the kids sat there, completely mesmerized by Shrek! The dentist told me later he'd filled 7 cavities on his niece without any sort of anesthestic--just Shrek! Seriously, I think you could have filled a cavity and they wouldn't have known. Lol!
Anyway, when Sissy was done with her part, the hygienist asked if Liam wanted to try the chair. He did. I was surprised. 
Then she told me she had time in her schedule if we wanted to go ahead and do him as well. We had just recently added him to our insurance, and since we still had some time to spare, AND since he seemed cooperative, I decided to go for it.
I was shocked, because he did SO great! He opened his mouth, he let her count all his teeth (he still has 2 baby teeth coming in, that means he's still a baby, right?!), he let her clean his teeth, and squirt his teeth. He didn't protest. He didn't fight it. He opened his mouth and did as he was told, all the while, transfixed on Shrek. 
Sissy even got to help be the dental assistant... holding Mr. Thirsty bird for Ms. Jennifer.

Both kids did GREAT!

***   ***   ***

At any rate, when we finished up, we then were off to exciting event #2 in our Groundhog Day excursion. 

Up next: A trip to the "big city" (aka "Raleigh City" as my kids call it) to see if Sir Walter Wally would see his shadow. We met our buddies, Caroline and Anna, and we were off.
When we arrived at the Museum, we were a little early, so we decided to check out the Museum first, which was free. 
The kids seemed to like looking at everything, even though a lot of the exhibits were really geared for older kids. But it was fun--and as always, lots of fun comments and questions.
When we finished up with the museum, we decided to let the kids eat their packed lunches outside, and when they were finished, we found our places for the big announcement. 
Then it was time for the big announcement. 
Would Sir Walter Wally see his shadow?
He did!
But considering how warm this winter has been, we won't mind 6 more weeks of this! 

The ceremony was SUPER cute, and complete with a song! So fun!
Then when the big announcement was over, we waited in line to meet Sir Walter Wally himself. 
The kids surprised me! Elizabeth was too shy to go check him out, and Liam went right up!
Liam loved meeting Sir Walter Wally! He even made the News!
 Our buddy Caroline also made the News... 
How cute is this shot below? Love it!
Anyway, the kids were doing well, so we decided an impromptu trip to Marbles was in order. After all, we drove all the way to the Big City, it seemed silly not to make a trip. So we headed over.
On the way, we past the State Courthouse. 
 Once we made it to Marbles, the kids had a BLAST! Running from one exhibit to another. 
 We lucked out because this is a huge museum that is usually pretty busy, but this time of day must be the perfect time (all the little ones are napping, all the big ones are in school). So the museum was much more manageable for two mommies with a total of 4 little ones!
 Liam LOVED this bus, and didn't to do anything else at first.
 Sissy gravitated to the Veterinarian shop. She loves playing with her animals. 
 My monkeys in the treehouse. 
 And all the kids at the water table. 
 Next up... the yellow submarine, of course!
 Liam manned the controls. 
 While sissy ran some experiments.
 Off to the pirate ship :)
 And then upstairs to shoot some hoops. 
 Slam dunk!
 Time for a little hockey. 
 And practicing their surf moves!
 A couple of times, I couldn't find Elizabeth... but each time, I'd eventually find her all curled up inside the dog house--lol!
 As we were leaving, Liam got one more spin on the corvette. 
***   ***  *** 
I would love to say that was the end of our Groundhog Day adventure, but on the way home I needed to turn in a nebulizer machine (that we'd checked out from the pediatrician for Liam's cough/cold). He had struggled with a croopy cough for a few days early in the week, but no fever and was fine otherwise. The past few days, he'd been totally fine... but after running all around Marbles, I noticed he was coughing a little. When we ran in to return the machine, I let them know that he was still coughing some and wondered if needed to be checked. They decided to squeeze us in.
 So.... we waited. 
At this point the kids were pretty tired. It had been a long day, so waiting was not easy, but they did pretty good considering. At one point, Elizabeth said, "Mom, we'd did everything today!" It sure felt like it!
 After seeing the Dr. and getting another prescription for a steroid (my poor boy just isn't responding well to the nebulizer) we were then off to the pharmacy.
When I saw the line of cars around the building, I decided we'd go in. So the kids waited, once again. Again, this was not an easy task. Anyone with little ones knows these waits can be torture. But again, they didn't pretty good--and provided entertainment to everyone else waiting in line by singing a nice rendition of "Phaoroh, Phaoroh... Whoa-Whoa, you let my people go!" Lol! It was funny! They were clearly deliriously tired. And we were all ready to be home at that point. You'd have thought mommy was being the slave driver--lol!
***  ***  ***
What a fun day! I SO cherish these days. So if I had to wake up and do this day over a hundred times a la Groundhogs Day, I wouldn't complain. Although, I'm sure I'd be beat! Beat, but blessed.
Anyway, Happy Groundhogs Day to you! Hope it was a good one and the Groundhog in your town was shadow-free!